Old 03-28-2010, 06:03 AM
Doug Goldstein

Default RFC: changing ssl use flag descriptions and unify behavior

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@gentoo.org> wrote:
> See this thread for background:
> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_0673a33fe75961e510872fd2c1044ced.xml
>
> I think we should go through all the ssl use flag using packages and
> unify the use flag descriptions and behavior to the following standing
> policy (handed down probably):
>
> 1) packages always have the general ssl use flag to control whether to
> * enable ssl at all
> 2) If the package supports multiple backends then there's use flags for
> * gnutls, openssl or nss. EAPI 2 use defaults will be used to
> * communicate upstream defaults if any. If they are all turned of
> * select the default (ssl being on).
>
> No objections and I will open a tracker a week from now and let's see
> who joins up to go through packages and open bugs.
>
> Regards,
> Petteri

I seriously hate changing USE flags for the sake of changing use
flags. This provides a moderate amount of annoyance for anyone that
maintains more then one Gentoo box because they need to then tinker
with their /etc/make.conf and /etc/portage/package.use to get
everything right again. And oh no what if the one box is on ~arch and
one isn't and what if one is x86 and one isn't. Its just such a
configuration nightmare.

So unless there's any real benefit, I'm against this.

Also two little side points... USE defaults happened in EAPI 1. And
the method by which you're asking people to select would be nice if we
had some method for saying USE X and Y are subset of USE A.

--
Doug Goldstein