Old 03-28-2010, 04:13 AM
Alistair Bush

Default List of User projects

I was just thinking how nice it could be if we acknowledged some of the
projects that contribute to gentoo but are actually developed primarily
outside of gentoo's dev community. How about a page on gentoo.org

So lets me start with a couple of obvious ones.

kportagetray
pkgcore
paludis

There must be more than these or else gentoo really is dead.

- Alistair

ps. I would like the packages to be specifically for gentoo, but there are
exceptions to this. as an example openrc (and even paludis to a degree). If
you think that there is a package not specifically targetting gentoo that
deserves a mention please make it clear why.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Luis Francisco Araujo

Alistair Bush wrote:
> I was just thinking how nice it could be if we acknowledged some of the
> projects that contribute to gentoo but are actually developed primarily
> outside of gentoo's dev community. How about a page on gentoo.org
>
> So lets me start with a couple of obvious ones.
>
> kportagetray
> pkgcore
> paludis
>

> There must be more than these or else gentoo really is dead.
>
> - Alistair
>
> ps. I would like the packages to be specifically for gentoo, but there are
> exceptions to this. as an example openrc (and even paludis to a degree). If
> you think that there is a package not specifically targetting gentoo that
> deserves a mention please make it clear why.

The set of graphical front-ends for portage:

portato
porthole
himerge

And yes, it'd be nice to have a page listing these kind of projects.

--

Luis F. Araujo "araujo at gentoo.org"
Gentoo Linux

Old 03-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Duncan

Alistair Bush posted on Sun, 28 Mar 2010 17:13:14 +1300 as excerpted:

> I was just thinking how nice it could be if we acknowledged some of the
> projects that contribute to gentoo but are actually developed primarily
> outside of gentoo's dev community. How about a page on gentoo.org
>
> So lets me start with a couple of obvious ones.
>
> kportagetray
> pkgcore
> paludis
>

> There must be more than these or else gentoo really is dead.
>
> - Alistair
>
> ps. I would like the packages to be specifically for gentoo, but there
> are exceptions to this. as an example openrc (and even paludis to a
> degree). If you think that there is a package not specifically
> targetting gentoo that deserves a mention please make it clear why.

[Hmm... Was followup not set? It tried to post to the announce list too!
That's a no-no for replies! Luckily gmane has it set read-only so my news
client gave me a warning.]

So you mention openrc, but don't have it on the list?

FWIW, I've not looked, but I think a number of the portage helpers are
non-gentoo-dev developed, and certainly a number previously were, that
have ultimately been folded back into portage and/or gentoolkit in someway
or another now. I'm sure someone from one of those projects can list
several of them without even looking.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Alistair Bush

> So you mention openrc, but don't have it on the list?

Yes because openrc isn't really gentoo-specific. I don't want the list
blowing out to include ever package in the entire tree. ie. Thanking gcc for
contributing to gentoo.

Note this doesn't mean that openrc won't be on the list. I think that in this
case the dev has worked closely enough with gentoo to deserve acknowledgment.
(being a former dev might have helped that )

Maybe it will be in a "Non-Gentoo specific" section of the list, or something.
My point at the moment is to distinguish it from something like
pkgcore/paludis which were developed with gentoo firmly as the target platform.

> FWIW, I've not looked, but I think a number of the portage helpers are
> non-gentoo-dev developed, and certainly a number previously were, that
> have ultimately been folded back into portage and/or gentoolkit in someway
> or another now. I'm sure someone from one of those projects can list
> several of them without even looking.

Well i'm more interested in what is being developed verses what were
developed. But that is an interesting possibility, not surprising but
interesting none the less.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:01 AM
René 'Necoro' Neumann

Old 03-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Duncan

Alistair Bush posted on Sun, 28 Mar 2010 23:21:23 +1300 as excerpted:

>> So you mention openrc, but don't have it on the list?
>>

> Yes because openrc isn't really gentoo-specific. I don't want the list
> blowing out to include ever package in the entire tree. ie. Thanking
> gcc for contributing to gentoo.
>
> Note this doesn't mean that openrc won't be on the list. I think that
> in this case the dev has worked closely enough with gentoo to deserve
> acknowledgment. (being a former dev might have helped that )
>
> Maybe it will be in a "Non-Gentoo specific" section of the list, or
> something. My point at the moment is to distinguish it from something
> like pkgcore/paludis which were developed with gentoo firmly as the
> target platform.

I don't disagree with your idea, and I'm not /really/ the partisan openrc
booster this might cause me to appear to be, it's just that it and the
portage helpers are more than likely pretty much it, and I /am/ trying to
understand the distinction being made:

What other distributions (*BSD, Linux, or...) do you know that use
openrc? IOW, I know it was designed to be distribution independent, but I
don't know of anyone else using it (well, other than Gentoo derivatives),
and Gentoo certainly influenced it.

Meanwhile, portage, and thus the various app-portage/* tools, as
mentioned, should be usable on many of those same Gentoo derivatives.

And paludis and friends, while being designed for more independent use
(much like openrc), again, is it (are they) actually part of any non-
Gentoo-based distribution?

The point being, perhaps I'm wrong and openrc does have a broader
distribution basis than I'm aware of, but in practice, it seems all of
these tend to be used /almost/ exclusively with Gentoo and Gentoo based
distributions. If openrc's usage is rather wider than I'm aware of, well
then, I'm about to learn that. =:^)

Old 03-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Richard Freeman

The point being, perhaps I'm wrong and openrc does have a broader
distribution basis than I'm aware of, but in practice, it seems all of
these tend to be used /almost/ exclusively with Gentoo and Gentoo based
distributions. If openrc's usage is rather wider than I'm aware of, well
then, I'm about to learn that. =:^)

Well, I'm sure there is an openrc list somewhere that might be a better
forum for these kinds of discussions, but I suspect that they need to
walk before they run. Right now openrc isn't even the stable init
system for Gentoo.

I know that their goal was to be completely distro-neutral, and once it
stabilizes we might see it happen. It certainly would be very useful -
it would standardize a ton of stuff across distros.

Rich

Old 03-28-2010, 02:55 PM
"Wulf C. Krueger"

> And paludis and friends, while being designed for more independent use
> (much like openrc), again, is it (are they) actually part of any non-
> Gentoo-based distribution?

Yes. Paludis is Exherbo's package manager.

Best regards, Wulf

Old 03-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Duncan

Wulf C. Krueger posted on Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:55:12 +0200 as excerpted:

>> And paludis and friends, while being designed for more independent use
>> (much like openrc), again, is it (are they) actually part of any non-
>> Gentoo-based distribution?
>
> Yes. Paludis is Exherbo's package manager.

FWIW, I categorized that as "Gentoo based"... tho how much it has expanded
beyond that by now isn't something I'd know without being told...

Old 03-28-2010, 03:42 PM
"Wulf C. Krueger"

> > Yes. Paludis is Exherbo's package manager.
> FWIW, I categorized that as "Gentoo based"... tho how much it has expanded
> beyond that by now isn't something I'd know without being told...

It has never been Gentoo-based, Duncan. You might perceive it like that
because Gentoo has often embraced our concepts for recent EAPIs, though.

Best regards, Wulf