Old 03-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Duncan

Default Python 3.1: Stabilization and news item

George Prowse posted on Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:53:31 +0000 as excerpted:

> On 26/03/2010 17:43, Dale wrote:
>> It's not faith, its reality. There will be some people that don't
>> subscribe to this list that will do what is above. This IS the reason I
>> subscribed to this list. I wanted to know what the devs were doing
>> under the hood that would lead me to screw up my system. It's amazing
>> how much fewer problems I have had since I started watching this list.
>>
>> Also, if python3 is marked as "stable," people will assume it is safe
>> to switch to. That's what "stable" means.
>>
> It's Gentoo and naturally users are like magpies, they like everything
> newest, highest and shiniest.

Hmm... looking closely, I think it's myself I see in that mirror! =:^)

Pretty apt description, I think, tho I don't suppose it's entirely
accurate for stale users or they'd find it just that. I certainly do.
Take baselayout-2/openrc for instance; /how/ many years stale is
baselayout-1 now?

Old 03-27-2010, 04:37 PM
William Hubbs

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 05:27:46PM +0000, Jeremy Olexa wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 16:28:29 +0000, Alec Warner <antarus@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> As a user, I still think this could turn into a real mess. ??I think
> there
> >> will be quite a few that will see python being updated, run
> python-updater
> >> and switch it to the new python. ??At that point, it is going to hit the
> fan.
> >> ??I know because this is what I always do. ??News item or not, when
> python
> >> gets updated, I run python-updater and make sure it is selected.

If you don't bother reading news items or messages from packages, there
is nothing we can do. I don't feel that this is an excuse for holding
up stabilization.

> * Messages for package dev-lang/python-3.1.2:
>
> *
> * WARNING!
> * Many Python modules haven't been ported yet to Python 3.*.
> * Python 3 hasn't been activated and Python wrapper is still configured
> to use Python 2.
> * You can manually activate Python 3.1 using `eselect python set
> python3.1`.
> * It is recommended to currently have Python wrapper configured to use
> Python 2.
> * Having Python wrapper configured to use Python 3 is unsupported.

The message above looks pretty clear to me. It works, but don't make it
the default. Having it marked "stable" and being able to use it as the
default python are two separate things, and the maintainer is making it
very clear in this message that it can't be the default python.

William