Old 03-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Doktor Notor

Default Add LDFLAGS="-Wl,--hash-style=gnu" to developer profile's make.defaults

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 18:28:18 +0100
justin <jlec@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I am probably the only one, but I really don't like the way you are
> talking! Please change that, otherwise I feel to do something against
> it!
>
> Having good ideas or pointing out correct things, doesn't give anybody
> the right to talk and act in the way you are doing! Not only here but
> also in your comments in b.g.o.

In the very first post, I wrote in the subject: Add
LDFLAGS="-Wl,--hash-style=gnu" to *developer* *profile's* make.defaults
- yet it seems that people just don't read the subjects of threads at
all, otherwise this conversation could not arise. I can't think of more
prominent place to emphasize the main point of the suggestion, well...
it didn't work out it seems, so - apparently wrong assumption on my
side.

For the record, no, I didn't want to break anyone's system - definitely
not more than enabling things like I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING="yes" or
LD_AS_NEEDED="1" already does in that particular profile. The only
thing this flag ever broke on Gentoo was some weird rare MIPS stuff
(Bug 232139 and Bug 233233).

Sorry and forget about this, clearly I suck at explaining things.

Have a nice day.

DN

Old 03-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Samuli Suominen

On 03/21/2010 07:41 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:

>>> forcing gnu-only hashes breaks some systems, and is a relatively "newish"
>>> flag, so it isnt a candidate for global enabling.
>>
>> The developer profile target is being used only on linux profiles
>> (quickly grepped profiles) so I'm curious if it would break on one of
>> them...
>
> it'll break all mips systems, it'll break on non-glibc systems, and it'll
> break with older glibc/binutils systems.
> -mike

*nod*

- Samuli