Old 03-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Alex Alexander

Default : Proxy-maintainer project

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 06:29:56PM +0200, Markos Chandras wrote:
> Dear fellow developers,
>
> A new project is about to start so I am requesting your feedback
>
> The primary goal of the Proxy Maintainers[1] project is to create and maintain
> relationships between developers and users in order to ensure packages in the
> Gentoo tree stay up to date. This involves a few main tasks:
>

> [...]
>
> 1) Should we use a new overlay? A new branch on sunrise? or work ebuilds in
> Gentoo bugzilla?I think the latter is the best

IMO, the best route would be to start with-in Gentoo Bugs, then slowly
move each contributor to a proxy-maintainer overlay.

This overlay would not have a review process for ebuilds, meaning that every
contributor that has passed the first stage (by submitting a few ebuilds in
bugzilla) will be granted access.

that way users will:

* get experience on actually committing stuff to a tree
* learn how to use tools like repoman and git (think of the future )

it will also be better for us. moving packages from the overlay to tree
will be simpler, also tracking versions and package status will be
easier.

> 2) I think an email alias is not needed We can "monitor" maintainer-wanted/-
> needed alias if needed. What do you think?

If we go with the new overlay, I think we'll need an alias where the
users can ask for help and talk about their packages.

> 3) Maybe a new KEYWORD needs to be added on bugzilla so ppl get informed that
> the specific bug is already taking by another developer and that somebody is
> working on it. So marking a bug with a keyword e.g. "PROXY" might be useful.

Thats not a bad idea.
Another solution would be to assign the bugs to proxy-maintainers@g.o.

--
Alex Alexander :: wired