FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-10-2010, 03:08 AM
Sebastian Pipping
 
Default How about a monthly bumpday?

Hello!


We have about 500 bump request open at the moment:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=bump

I assume that quite a few of them would be no big deal to their
maintainers in Gentoo.


Bugday is occupying the first Saturday of the month: how about bumpday
on the third Saturday of the month? First bumpday could be March 20th,
10 days from now.

What do you think?



Sebastian
 
Old 03-10-2010, 03:32 AM
Nathan Zachary
 
Default How about a monthly bumpday?

On 09/03/10 22:08, Sebastian Pipping wrote:

Hello!


We have about 500 bump request open at the moment:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=bump

I assume that quite a few of them would be no big deal to their
maintainers in Gentoo.


Bugday is occupying the first Saturday of the month: how about bumpday
on the third Saturday of the month? First bumpday could be March 20th,
10 days from now.

What do you think?



Sebastian



Not sure that my opinion matters all
that much as I'm not currently doing ebuild work, but I think this idea
could really help out the status of the tree.* Attached to it could be
a stabilisation day as well.



--Nathan Zachary
 
Old 03-10-2010, 04:00 AM
Joshua Saddler
 
Default How about a monthly bumpday?

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 22:32:22 -0600
Nathan Zachary <nathanzachary@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 09/03/10 22:08, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> >
> > We have about 500 bump request open at the moment:
> > https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=bump
> >
> > I assume that quite a few of them would be no big deal to their
> > maintainers in Gentoo.
> >
> >
> > Bugday is occupying the first Saturday of the month: how about bumpday
> > on the third Saturday of the month? First bumpday could be March 20th,
> > 10 days from now.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> >
> >
> > Sebastian
> >
> >
> Not sure that my opinion matters all that much as I'm not currently
> doing ebuild work, but I think this idea could really help out the
> status of the tree. Attached to it could be a stabilisation day as well.
>
> --Nathan Zachary

The ones that I'm CCed on, either as proxy maintainer or because I have some other interest, I prolly would mind. They're not simple revbumps, but they have dependency changes and/or other complicated changes, which is the only reason why they're still open. My bugs can't be solved with a simple rename-and-commit.

I'm prolly not the only one who feels this way, so you really need to pick your bugs carefully! Otherwise we'll end up with another screwed-up mess like the one we just went through with patrick.

Bumpdays are otherwise a good idea, though I'm not sure why we need a separate day for that in addition to our standard bugdays.
 
Old 03-10-2010, 04:17 AM
Sebastian Pipping
 
Default How about a monthly bumpday?

On 03/10/10 06:00, Joshua Saddler wrote:
> I'm prolly not the only one who feels this way, so you really need to pick your bugs carefully!

Agreed, yes.


> Bumpdays are otherwise a good idea, though I'm not sure why we need a separate day for that in addition to our standard bugdays.

While bugday is also meant to activate developers it's primarily focused
on users fixing bugs, making them able to do that and doing proxy commits.

I guess a developer doing the bump himself is much faster than waiting
for and working with a user on that. It would help to teach users but
it would work against the goal of getting all the bump requests closed.

Also, another day means one more day a month with people working on
Gentoo theoretically.



Sebastian
 
Old 03-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default How about a monthly bumpday?

On Tuesday 09 March 2010 23:08:24 Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> We have about 500 bump request open at the moment:
> https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=bump
>
> I assume that quite a few of them would be no big deal to their
> maintainers in Gentoo.
>
>
> Bugday is occupying the first Saturday of the month: how about bumpday
> on the third Saturday of the month? First bumpday could be March 20th,
> 10 days from now.
>
> What do you think?

for the maintainer-needed ones, np. for the ones with maintainers, i think
you need an ack from someone first.
-mike
 
Old 03-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Ben de Groot
 
Default How about a monthly bumpday?

On 10 March 2010 06:17, Sebastian Pipping <sping@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 03/10/10 06:00, Joshua Saddler wrote:
>> Bumpdays are otherwise a good idea, though I'm not sure why we need a separate day for that in addition to our standard bugdays.
>
[...]
> Also, another day means one more day a month with people working on
> Gentoo theoretically.

I think it would be better to have it all happen on the same day. If those
are easy bumps, they fit very well with bugday. And those devs who
want to work on that, can then join the general bugday mayhem. ;-)
You might be spreading things too thinly otherwise. And even for the
more involved bumps it could be handy to have users around for
testing.

Cheers,
--
Ben de Groot
Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)
__________________________________________________ ____
 
Old 03-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Mark Loeser
 
Default How about a monthly bumpday?

Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> said:
> On Tuesday 09 March 2010 23:08:24 Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> > We have about 500 bump request open at the moment:
> > https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=bump
> >
> > I assume that quite a few of them would be no big deal to their
> > maintainers in Gentoo.
> >
> >
> > Bugday is occupying the first Saturday of the month: how about bumpday
> > on the third Saturday of the month? First bumpday could be March 20th,
> > 10 days from now.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> for the maintainer-needed ones, np. for the ones with maintainers, i think
> you need an ack from someone first.

I don't even think the maintainer-needed ones should be bumped. Who
knows what bugs you are introducing into the tree. This is why things
eventually get treecleaned.

As Mike said, for ones with maintainers, don't touch them unless you
have explicit permission. We have maintainers for a reason, and if you
don't know the intricacies of the package, you shouldn't be touching it.
You should know how it works, how to test it, and what the normal
problems of a bump are.

With that being said, I don't really see the point of a bumpday. These
day ideas are ignoring the fact that we don't have enough active developers,
which is the real problem.

--
Mark Loeser
email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
email - mark AT halcy0n DOT com
web - http://www.halcy0n.com
 
Old 03-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Markos Chandras
 
Default How about a monthly bumpday?

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 16:41:59 Mark Loeser wrote:
> Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> said:
> > On Tuesday 09 March 2010 23:08:24 Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> > > We have about 500 bump request open at the moment:
> > > https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=bump
> > >
> > > I assume that quite a few of them would be no big deal to their
> > > maintainers in Gentoo.
> > >
> > >
> > > Bugday is occupying the first Saturday of the month: how about bumpday
> > > on the third Saturday of the month? First bumpday could be March 20th,
> > > 10 days from now.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > for the maintainer-needed ones, np. for the ones with maintainers, i
> > think you need an ack from someone first.
>
> I don't even think the maintainer-needed ones should be bumped. Who
> knows what bugs you are introducing into the tree. This is why things
> eventually get treecleaned.
I run occasionally the maintainer-needed list and bump those packages ( and
YES I try to do proper bumps not just renaming the ebuilds ), so yes
maintainer-needed package could get some love as well


--
Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
Gentoo Linux Developer
Web: http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org
 
Old 03-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Gilles Dartiguelongue
 
Default How about a monthly bumpday?

Le mardi 09 mars 2010 à 22:32 -0600, Nathan Zachary a écrit :
> On 09/03/10 22:08, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> >
> > We have about 500 bump request open at the moment:
> > https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=bump
> >
> > I assume that quite a few of them would be no big deal to their
> > maintainers in Gentoo.

For gnome assigned bumps, I can tell all of them have a reason/policy
that explains why they are not done yet and I definitively don't want
non-maintainer bumps for them.

> Not sure that my opinion matters all that much as I'm not currently
> doing ebuild work, but I think this idea could really help out the
> status of the tree. Attached to it could be a stabilisation day as
> well.

That I would buy. I often hear users complaining that stable isn't that
stable and they try to mix ~arch or completely move to ~arch instead of
asking for stablereq. Here too gnome has a policy for some packages but
a couple of them can be stabilized independently. Either way the
reaction is generally quick.

--
Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org>
Gentoo
 
Old 03-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Sebastian Pipping
 
Default How about a monthly bumpday?

On 03/10/10 15:41, Mark Loeser wrote:
> I don't even think the maintainer-needed ones should be bumped. Who
> knows what bugs you are introducing into the tree. This is why things
> eventually get treecleaned.

I purposely wrote "no big deal _to their maintainers_" - I wonder why
everyone is so scare about their packages getting touched now :-)
The requirements for touching packages shall be as on any other day. For
maintainer-needed I wouldn't make such a strong cut, though.


> As Mike said, for ones with maintainers, don't touch them unless you
> have explicit permission. We have maintainers for a reason, and if you
> don't know the intricacies of the package, you shouldn't be touching it.
> You should know how it works, how to test it, and what the normal
> problems of a bump are.

Right. As you say it this way: we have maintainers for another reason
too: so someone keeps the package up to date. It's both a right and a duty.


> With that being said, I don't really see the point of a bumpday. These
> day ideas are ignoring the fact that we don't have enough active developers,
> which is the real problem.

I assume that many half-active developers would be more active if they
were motivated stronger. Bumpday could be another step to reactivate
existing developers. But yes, we need more developers.



Sebastian
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:41 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org