Old 03-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Alec Warner

Default How about a monthly bumpday?

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Mark Loeser <halcy0n@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> said:
>> On Tuesday 09 March 2010 23:08:24 Sebastian Pipping wrote:
>> > We have about 500 bump request open at the moment:
>> > https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=bump
>> >
>> > I assume that quite a few of them would be no big deal to their
>> > maintainers in Gentoo.
>> >

>> > Bugday is occupying the first Saturday of the month: how about bumpday
>> > on the third Saturday of the month? *First bumpday could be March 20th,
>> > 10 days from now.
>> >
>> > What do you think?
>>
>> for the maintainer-needed ones, np. *for the ones with maintainers, i think
>> you need an ack from someone first.
>
> I don't even think the maintainer-needed ones should be bumped. *Who
> knows what bugs you are introducing into the tree. *This is why things
> eventually get treecleaned.
>
> As Mike said, for ones with maintainers, don't touch them unless you
> have explicit permission. *We have maintainers for a reason, and if you
> don't know the intricacies of the package, you shouldn't be touching it.
> You should know how it works, how to test it, and what the normal
> problems of a bump are.
>
> With that being said, I don't really see the point of a bumpday. *These
> day ideas are ignoring the fact that we don't have enough active developers,
> which is the real problem.

We have plenty of developers, the problem is we have too many packages ;p

-A

Old 03-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Sebastian Pipping

On 03/10/10 14:59, Ben de Groot wrote:
> I think it would be better to have it all happen on the same day. If those
> are easy bumps, they fit very well with bugday. And those devs who
> want to work on that, can then join the general bugday mayhem. ;-)
> You might be spreading things too thinly otherwise. And even for the
> more involved bumps it could be handy to have users around for
> testing.

Testing is a point, easy bumps are a point to.
The thing is bugday will soon not be thin anymore: it will require all
the attention of all online devs: there weill be no time to do bumps
that need your brain in parallel. To summarize: we have to allow Gentoo
to grow or it won't.

Sebastian

Old 03-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Ben de Groot

On 10 March 2010 19:50, Sebastian Pipping <sping@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 03/10/10 14:59, Ben de Groot wrote:
>> I think it would be better to have it all happen on the same day.

> The thing is bugday will soon not be thin anymore: it will require all
> the attention of all online devs: there weill be no time to do bumps
> that need your brain in parallel.

If and when that happens, we can reevaluate and adjust accordingly.
Until such time, it will be easier to have developers commit to one
set day a month rather than two.

Cheers,
--
Ben de Groot
Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)

Old 03-11-2010, 04:58 AM
Ryan Hill

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:41:59 -0500
Mark Loeser <halcy0n@gentoo.org> wrote:

> As Mike said, for ones with maintainers, don't touch them unless you
> have explicit permission. We have maintainers for a reason, and if you
> don't know the intricacies of the package, you shouldn't be touching it.
> You should know how it works, how to test it, and what the normal
> problems of a bump are.

And if you're already getting the maintainer to take the time to review your
work and make sure it doesn't break anything they might as well be doing the
bump themselves.

That said, I think there's still a case for taking action yourself if you
can't get a response out of the maintainer within a reasonable time and the
bump is necessary (ie. fixes a real problem, not just because there's a newer
version out).

--
fonts, by design, by neglect
gcc-porting, for a fact or just for effect

Old 03-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Peter Volkov

В Срд, 10/03/2010 в 05:08 +0100, Sebastian Pipping пишет:
> How about a monthly bumpday?

Good idea, but it should follow our policy to inform maintainers _in
advance_: e.g. on first bumpday to work on bumps and notify maintainer
about this work by attaching final ebuild to the version bump bug with
clear message that you are going to bump and, _next month_ on bumpday
it's Ok to commit this ebuild to the tree. Just picking bugs and bumping
them straight to the tree without knowing why maintainer haven't done
that yet is a bad idea.

--
Peter.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Sebastian Pipping

On 03/19/10 13:36, Peter Volkov wrote:
> В Срд, 10/03/2010 в 05:08 +0100, Sebastian Pipping пишет:
>> How about a monthly bumpday?
>
> Good idea, but it should follow our policy to inform maintainers _in
> advance_: e.g. on first bumpday to work on bumps and notify maintainer
> about this work by attaching final ebuild to the version bump bug with
> clear message that you are going to bump and, _next month_ on bumpday
> it's Ok to commit this ebuild to the tree. Just picking bugs and bumping
> them straight to the tree without knowing why maintainer haven't done
> that yet is a bad idea.

Agreed. However, am I the only one who wouldn't start doing an ebuild
_before_ okay or timeout? Chances are too high to work for the trashcan.

I recommend a plain post of this text to an affected bug:

I hereby request this bug and package to be opened to non-maintainer
bumps. Unless this bug is closed before April's bumpday (2010-04-17)
or any of the maintainer objects I may take the liberty of bumping
this package from April's bumpday on.

Sebastian