Old 03-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Ben de Groot

Default Lastrite: games-fps/openarena

On 4 March 2010 19:17, Victor Ostorga <vostorga@gentoo.org> wrote:
> 0.8.5 was released on february 23, 2010 and the patch at bug
> 255453 seems to work fine.
> Please don't remove one of the greatest open source games.

So step up and maintain it!

Cheers,
--
Ben de Groot
Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)

Old 03-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Ben de Groot

On 5 March 2010 15:22, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Friday 05 March 2010 15:17:06 Ben de Groot wrote:
>> So step up and maintain it!
>>
> games herd already maintains that package . At least this is what *I see on
> metadata.xml

Nominally, yes. But if a package has open QA and security bugs and
patches that have not been reviewed or even commented upon by the
maintainer(s) for over 6 months, then you can't consider that package
actually maintained. So for this package to remain in the tree, someone
needs to step up and actually maintain it.

Cheers,

Old 03-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Ben de Groot

On 5 March 2010 16:23, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I assume that only members of QA can actually step up and fix the problem.
> Otherwise the games heard will complain that random devs are touching their
> packages. I just assume that but I am not willing to step into their
> "territory" and this is why I asked permission to touch the bug ( see my last
> comment on the bug )

Obviously, if there is a nominal maintainer, you should contact him/her/them.
But in cases like this, where open bugs show low or no activity, there is
often no problem stepping on any toes. What I usually do is mail the
maintainer or herd to which it is assigned, and ask if there are any
objections to fixing it. If no objections are raised within a reasonable
timeframe (depending on the seriousness of the bug), I would go ahead.

Cheers,