Old 03-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Christian Faulhammer

Default New category for version control

Hi,

as dev-util is really crowded, maybe splitting off a category for
source code management systems would be a good idea. They are more
important today than some years ago.
Are any of you against such a split? My proposal would be to call it
dev-scm and put all version controls, direct frontends, plugins and the
like into that. Diffing tools or programs that only have some kind of
binding to a scm should stay in dev-util.

V-Li

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>

Old 03-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Dirkjan Ochtman

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 10:07, Christian Faulhammer <fauli@gentoo.org> wrote:
> as dev-util is really crowded, maybe splitting off a category for
> source code management systems would be a good idea. *They are more
> important today than some years ago.
> *Are any of you against such a split? My proposal would be to call it
> dev-scm and put all version controls, direct frontends, plugins and the
> like into that. *Diffing tools or programs that only have some kind of
> binding to a scm should stay in dev-util.

I don't know that they're more important, but there are much more of
them, more people using them, and more tools. Great idea, +1 from me.

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Ulrich Mueller

> My proposal would be to call it dev-scm and put all version
> controls, direct frontends, plugins and the like into that.

Better call it dev-vcs to avoid confusion with both the Scheme
language and with software configuration management.

Ulrich

Old 03-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:32:47 +0100
Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > My proposal would be to call it dev-scm and put all version
> > controls, direct frontends, plugins and the like into that.
>
> Better call it dev-vcs to avoid confusion with both the Scheme
> language and with software configuration management.

And this is why the move wasn't done five years ago: by the time we'd
worked out everything we'd need to do by hand because epkgmove was
broken, the whole thing got bikeshedded to death.

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 03-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Alex Alexander

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 10:32:47AM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

> > My proposal would be to call it dev-scm and put all version
> > controls, direct frontends, plugins and the like into that.
>
> Better call it dev-vcs to avoid confusion with both the Scheme
> language and with software configuration management.

Nice idea, +1.

I too prefer dev-vcs as the category name.

--
Alex Alexander :: wired
Gentoo Developer

Old 03-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Petteri Räty

On 03/04/2010 11:35 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
>>> My proposal would be to call it dev-scm and put all version
>>> controls, direct frontends, plugins and the like into that.
>>
>> Better call it dev-vcs to avoid confusion with both the Scheme
>> language and with software configuration management.
>
> And this is why the move wasn't done five years ago: by the time we'd
> worked out everything we'd need to do by hand because epkgmove was
> broken, the whole thing got bikeshedded to death.

I would let the people maintaining the packages in the new category
decide what to call it.

Regards,
Petteri

Old 03-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Dirkjan Ochtman

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 11:28, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I would let the people maintaining the packages in the new category
> decide what to call it.

As the primary maintainer for mercurial, hgsubversion and hg-git, I
would prefer dev-vcs.

I wonder, would a Python re-implementation of git libraries belong in
dev-vcs or in dev-python (it's currently dev-python/dulwich)?

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Old 03-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Christian Faulhammer

Hi,

Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@gentoo.org>:
> As the primary maintainer for mercurial, hgsubversion and hg-git, I
> would prefer dev-vcs.

Yes, I agree now, too.

> I wonder, would a Python re-implementation of git libraries belong in
> dev-vcs or in dev-python (it's currently dev-python/dulwich)?

Up to your common sense (I would go with dev-python).

Old 03-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Ben de Groot

On 4 March 2010 10:58, Alex Alexander <wired@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Nice idea, +1.
>
> I too prefer dev-vcs as the category name.

My thoughts exactly.

Cheers,
--
Ben de Groot
Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)

Old 03-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Antoni Grzymala

Ulrich Mueller dixit (2010-03-04, 10:32):

> > My proposal would be to call it dev-scm and put all version
> > controls, direct frontends, plugins and the like into that.
>
> Better call it dev-vcs to avoid confusion with both the Scheme
> language and with software configuration management.

+1 for vcs for the above reason. Also, I think vcs is a more popular
acronym than scm (don't quote me on this, though ).

--
[a]