Old 03-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Ben de Groot

Default Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps

For some reason beyond my understanding, we have the cups useflag
enabled by default in profiles. This has started to generate circular
dependencies, at least for desktop profile users (gtk -> cups ->
poppler -> gtk). I propose we no longer enable the cups useflag.

Cheers,
--
Ben de Groot
Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)

Old 03-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Zac Medico

On 03/01/2010 01:24 PM, Ben de Groot wrote:
> For some reason beyond my understanding, we have the cups useflag
> enabled by default in profiles. This has started to generate circular
> dependencies, at least for desktop profile users (gtk -> cups ->
> poppler -> gtk). I propose we no longer enable the cups useflag.

If you don't want to disable the cups flag globally, you might
choose to disable for gtk+ by default in profiles/base/package.use
like this:

x11-libs/gtk+ -cups

That can be overridden by user's USE=cups setting in make.conf, so
the only effect would be to break the circular dependency by default.
--
Thanks,
Zac

Old 03-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Samuli Suominen

On 03/01/2010 11:24 PM, Ben de Groot wrote:
> For some reason beyond my understanding, we have the cups useflag
> enabled by default in profiles. This has started to generate circular
> dependencies, at least for desktop profile users (gtk -> cups ->
> poppler -> gtk). I propose we no longer enable the cups useflag.
>
> Cheers,

+1 for disabling it by default, long as it's done with care

for example, see how it will change the pkgs using USE cups, some might
need a + default flag or they might get defaulted to "lpr"

(and that is really only a example)

Old 03-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Maciej Mrozowski

On Monday 01 of March 2010 22:24:56 Ben de Groot wrote:
> For some reason beyond my understanding, we have the cups useflag
> enabled by default in profiles. This has started to generate circular
> dependencies, at least for desktop profile users (gtk -> cups ->
> poppler -> gtk). I propose we no longer enable the cups useflag.

+1

Please do, as well there are some other candidates for purging from base
profile, namely 'perl' and 'python' USE flags.

Related bug and discussion:
Bug 250179
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_afe72c138992b6a590120de199ffcc44.xml

--
regards
MM

Old 03-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Sylvain Alain

+1 for disabling it by default, long as it's done with care,

because it pretty hard for a newbie to understand what the hell is going on on his first installation and a lot of people use the desktop profile since it's one of the best way to install Gentoo for the first time.

Sylvain

> Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 00:06:10 +0200
> From: ssuominen@gentoo.org
> To: gentoo-dev@lists.gentoo.org
> Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
>
> On 03/01/2010 11:24 PM, Ben de Groot wrote:
> > For some reason beyond my understanding, we have the cups useflag
> > enabled by default in profiles. This has started to generate circular
> > dependencies, at least for desktop profile users (gtk -> cups ->
> > poppler -> gtk). I propose we no longer enable the cups useflag.
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> +1 for disabling it by default, long as it's done with care
>
> for example, see how it will change the pkgs using USE cups, some might
> need a + default flag or they might get defaulted to "lpr"
>
> (and that is really only a example)

Not using Hotmail on your phone? Why not? Get it now.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:53 AM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

On 3/1/10 11:09 PM, Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
> On Monday 01 of March 2010 22:24:56 Ben de Groot wrote:
>> For some reason beyond my understanding, we have the cups useflag
>> enabled by default in profiles. This has started to generate circular
>> dependencies, at least for desktop profile users (gtk -> cups ->
>> poppler -> gtk). I propose we no longer enable the cups useflag.
>
> Please do, as well there are some other candidates for purging from base
> profile, namely 'perl' and 'python' USE flags.

How do these creep in? Are there no repoman checks for that?

Old 03-02-2010, 06:29 AM
Petteri Räty

On 03/02/2010 07:53 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> On 3/1/10 11:09 PM, Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
>> On Monday 01 of March 2010 22:24:56 Ben de Groot wrote:
>>> For some reason beyond my understanding, we have the cups useflag
>>> enabled by default in profiles. This has started to generate circular
>>> dependencies, at least for desktop profile users (gtk -> cups ->
>>> poppler -> gtk). I propose we no longer enable the cups useflag.
>>
>> Please do, as well there are some other candidates for purging from base
>> profile, namely 'perl' and 'python' USE flags.
>
> How do these creep in? Are there no repoman checks for that?

Commits to profiles are not done with repoman and there's no checks in
it either. A lot of stuff is on by default because of history. Disabling
them didn't really make sense before we had EAPI 2.

Regards,
Petteri

Old 03-02-2010, 06:55 AM
Markos Chandras

On Monday 01 March 2010 23:24:56 Ben de Groot wrote:
> For some reason beyond my understanding, we have the cups useflag
> enabled by default in profiles. This has started to generate circular
> dependencies, at least for desktop profile users (gtk -> cups ->
> poppler -> gtk). I propose we no longer enable the cups useflag.
>
> Cheers,
Yes please

It is really annoying for a new user to deal with blockers when he first runs
emerge -uDN world on his brand new gentoo system
--
Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
Gentoo Linux Developer

Old 03-04-2010, 02:07 AM