Old 02-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Ulrich Mueller

Default gentoo-news repository

> On Thursday 08 October 2009 13:57:40 Alex Alexander wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 12:08, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> wrote:

>>> Some devs have complained about the directory structure in the
>>> gentoo-news being too complicated. News item files are currently
>>> found in a third-level subdirectory:

>>> YYYY/MM/YYYY-MM-DD-itemname/

>>> On the rsync side the year and month subdirs are absent:

>>> metadata/news/YYYY-MM-DD-itemname/

>>> After discussion with zmedico (who is maintaining the repo->rsync
>>> script) I propose to remove the month subdirs at least, and
>>> possibly also the year dirs. This change would be invisible to
>>> users, who see only the rsync side.

>>> Opinions?

>> Sounds good, although it could get a bit crowded if we remove YYYY/,
>> unless we remove really old items (like >= 2 years old).

> Crowded? I don't think so
> The number of news items is quite small, so I think we can afford
> having them all in the same folder

Coming back to this: Seems that there is consensus to remove the month
subdirectories. So I have moved everything up by one directory level,
news items now live in:

YYYY/YYYY-MM-DD-itemname/

The rsync-gen.sh script has been updated by Zac who will also take
care of GLEP 42.

Ulrich