Old 02-15-2010, 11:14 PM
"Robin H. Johnson"

Default News item: MySQL 5.1 bump

Updated with all of the suggestions thusfar.

====
Title: MySQL 5.1 unmasking and upgrade procedures
Author: Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@gentoo.org>
Revision: 2
News-Item-Format: 1.0
Display-If-Installed: <dev-db/mysql-5.1

The 5.1 series of MySQL is going to be unmasked at the same time as the release
of this news item. When upgrading from an older major version (including
5.0), you will be required to rebuild everything linked to the
libmysqlclient.so.15.

You can do this by installing app-portage/gentoolkit and running:
# revdep-rebuild --library libmysqlclient.so.15

If you use the Portage 2.2 series, you may also use:
# emerge @preserved-rebuild

The official upgrade docs are available here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/upgrade.html

====

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : robbat2@gentoo.org

Old 02-16-2010, 03:20 AM
Duncan

Robin H. Johnson posted on Tue, 16 Feb 2010 00:14:08 +0000 as excerpted:

> Title: MySQL 5.1 unmasking and upgrade procedures Author: Robin H.
> Johnson <robbat2@gentoo.org> Content-Type: text/plain
> Revision: 2
> News-Item-Format: 1.0
> Display-If-Installed: <dev-db/mysql-5.1
>
> The 5.1 series of MySQL is going to be unmasked at the same time as the
> release of this news item. When upgrading from an older major version
> (including 5.0), you will be required to rebuild everything linked to
> the libmysqlclient.so.15.
>
> You can do this by installing app-portage/gentoolkit and running: #
> revdep-rebuild --library libmysqlclient.so.15
>
> If you use the Portage 2.2 series, you may also use: # emerge
> @preserved-rebuild
>
> The official upgrade docs are available here:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/upgrade.html

FWIW, there's a lot of folks running mysql now that weren't before, due to
the kde 4 thing. I'm one of them, so this is of personal interest.

From your reply to Dawid W, it appears that database upgrades will need to
be done as well. Please specifically mention that, perhaps by changing
the reference to the official upgrade docs as so:

"""

Note that existing databases will need converted as well,
again including those upgrading from 5.0 to 5.1.
Details can be found in the official upgrade docs at:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/upgrade.html

"""

If you wish to put the unofficial upgrade recommendation in too, that
would be fine.

Hopefully that'll cover us users that don't particularly care about
databases, we just want our kde to work... and it'll continue to do so.
=:^) (IOW, are there any particularly different procedures for upgrading
databases in user's $HOME dirs? Perhaps a note for kde users telling them
where their databases are located so they /can/ back them up, etc.)

Thanks!

Old 02-16-2010, 03:33 AM
"Robin H. Johnson"

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 04:20:27AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> """
> Note that existing databases will need converted as well,
> again including those upgrading from 5.0 to 5.1.
> Details can be found in the official upgrade docs at:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/upgrade.html
> """
_may_ need to be converted, not _will_.

> If you wish to put the unofficial upgrade recommendation in too, that
> would be fine.
That would encourage users not to read the above document.

> Hopefully that'll cover us users that don't particularly care about
> databases, we just want our kde to work... and it'll continue to do so.
> =:^) (IOW, are there any particularly different procedures for upgrading
> databases in user's $HOME dirs?
- If you're using embedded MySQL (Amarok), you're going to be on your
own.
- If you actually ran mysqld as your own user (Akonadi w/ internal MySQL
instance), use the mysql_upgrade with suitable parameters to connect
to the database (as to what those are, you're the one running it, not
me).

> Perhaps a note for kde users telling them where their databases are
> located so they /can/ back them up, etc.)
I've got no idea where they are located, I just focus on MySQL itself.
I wasn't even aware of Akonadi's usage until a couple of weeks ago.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : robbat2@gentoo.org

Old 02-16-2010, 05:11 AM
Duncan

Robin H. Johnson posted on Tue, 16 Feb 2010 04:33:20 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 04:20:27AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
>> """
>> Note that existing databases will need converted as well, again
>> including those upgrading from 5.0 to 5.1. Details can be found in the
>> official upgrade docs at:
>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/upgrade.html """
> _may_ need to be converted, not _will_.
>
>> If you wish to put the unofficial upgrade recommendation in too, that
>> would be fine.
> That would encourage users not to read the above document.

Agreed.

>> Hopefully that'll cover us users that don't particularly care about
>> databases, we just want our kde to work... and it'll continue to do so.
>> =:^) (IOW, are there any particularly different procedures for
>> upgrading databases in user's $HOME dirs?

> - If you're using embedded MySQL (Amarok), you're going to be on your
> own.

I'm not going there. Suffice it to say I'm no longer an amarok user.

> - If you actually ran mysqld as your own user (Akonadi w/ internal MySQL
> instance), use the mysql_upgrade with suitable parameters to connect
> to the database (as to what those are, you're the one running it, not
> me).

It's automagic from here. I just run kde. What it does, I don't know. I
just don't want it to break! (And upgrade implications will get worse
with kde 4.5 in August, as kmail will be depending on it then, and users
tend to get rather cross when their mail store gets hosed! With 4.4, it's
mainly the address book.)

>> Perhaps a note for kde users telling them where their databases are
>> located so they /can/ back them up, etc.)

> I've got no idea where they are located, I just focus on MySQL itself. I
> wasn't even aware of Akonadi's usage until a couple of weeks ago.

What I was suggesting, between the lines, is to coordinate with the kde
project. They may want to create their own upgrade document, which might
be listed in the news release or in a separate one (testing for both mysql
and kde). Hopefully they reply to this thread with whatever their
concerns there might be.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:26 AM
"Robin H. Johnson"

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 06:11:13AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> > - If you actually ran mysqld as your own user (Akonadi w/ internal MySQL
> > instance), use the mysql_upgrade with suitable parameters to connect
> > to the database (as to what those are, you're the one running it, not
> > me).
> It's automagic from here. I just run kde. What it does, I don't know. I
> just don't want it to break! (And upgrade implications will get worse
> with kde 4.5 in August, as kmail will be depending on it then, and users
> tend to get rather cross when their mail store gets hosed! With 4.4, it's
> mainly the address book.)
All of that is under the Akonadi side of KDE. I really don't think
storing mail inside MySQL is going to be a good idea.

> >> Perhaps a note for kde users telling them where their databases are
> >> located so they /can/ back them up, etc.)
> > I've got no idea where they are located, I just focus on MySQL itself. I
> > wasn't even aware of Akonadi's usage until a couple of weeks ago.
> What I was suggesting, between the lines, is to coordinate with the kde
> project. They may want to create their own upgrade document, which might
> be listed in the news release or in a separate one (testing for both mysql
> and kde). Hopefully they reply to this thread with whatever their
> concerns there might be.
I announced it 2 weeks ago, on February 1st, Message-Id:
robbat2-20100201T012126-637073772Z@orbis-terrarum.net I just hadn't
gotten to actually doing it yet due to travel and getting sick on my way
home (and Delta doing everything in their power to screw things up, I
still haven't got one of my pieces of luggage back yet).

As soon as the 72 hours on this news announcement are done, I'm going to
be unmasking it. I do expect most of the breakage to come from the
client libraries, and NOT any actual data storage issues. If MySQL
detects that it's not safe to access a table, it does give you a
suitable error to repair the table.

mysql_upgrade is actually really just running 'CHECK TABLE ... FOR
UPGRADE;' && 'REPAIR TABLE ...' on tables with something that needs to
change. Doing a 'REPAIR TABLE ...' globally will cover you if you don't
have any other way to issue the check statements manually.

That is of course me assuming that you have a way to issue 'REPAIR TABLE
...', because that's a critical MySQL command for the DBA/user to know
in managing their data.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : robbat2@gentoo.org

Old 02-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Duncan

Robin H. Johnson posted on Tue, 16 Feb 2010 06:26:03 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 06:11:13AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
>> It's automagic from here. I just run kde. What it does, I don't know.
>> I just don't want it to break! (And upgrade implications will get
>> worse with kde 4.5 in August, as kmail will be depending on it then,
>> and users tend to get rather cross when their mail store gets hosed!
>> With 4.4, it's mainly the address book.)
> All of that is under the Akonadi side of KDE. I really don't think
> storing mail inside MySQL is going to be a good idea.

Me neither, but I'm just a user. <shrug>

>> What I was suggesting, between the lines, is to coordinate with the kde
>> project. They may want to create their own upgrade document [,etc.]
> I announced it 2 weeks ago, on February 1st, Message-Id:
> robbat2-20100201T012126-637073772Z@orbis-terrarum.net

Is there a bug on it for the KDE folks? Should I open one?

I /am/ going to post a message to the kde lists (where I'm a regular)
asking about mysql upgrades there. We'll see what they say.

> As soon as the 72 hours on this news announcement are done, I'm going to
> be unmasking it. I do expect most of the breakage to come from the
> client libraries, and NOT any actual data storage issues. If MySQL
> detects that it's not safe to access a table, it does give you a
> suitable error to repair the table.
>
> mysql_upgrade is actually really just running 'CHECK TABLE ... FOR
> UPGRADE;' && 'REPAIR TABLE ...' on tables with something that needs to
> change. Doing a 'REPAIR TABLE ...' globally will cover you if you don't
> have any other way to issue the check statements manually.
>
> That is of course me assuming that you have a way to issue 'REPAIR TABLE
> ...', because that's a critical MySQL command for the DBA/user to know
> in managing their data.

I'd think KDE would have mysql upgrade methods documented, if they're
going to be using the software. But there's a lot of stuff I'd have
thought, before the kde4 upgrade mess, that I'm considerably more cynical
about now... <shrug>

Old 02-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

On 02/16/2010 12:12 AM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:51:59PM +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

On 02/15/2010 11:21 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:

This is my last blocker for getting MySQL 5.1 series into ~arch status.

====
itle: MySQL 5.1 unmasking
Author: "Robin H. Johnson"<robbat2@gentoo.rog>
Revision: 1
News-Item-Format: 1.0
Display-If-Installed:<dev-db/mysql-5.1

The 5.1 series of MySQL is going to be unmasked at the same time as the release
of this news item. When upgrading from an older major version, you will be
required to rebuild everything linked to the libmysqlclient.so.15.
====

I assume "older major version" means 4.x versions and older, not 5.0, right?

The following transitions required rebuilds:
3.23 -> 4.0
4.0 -> 4.1
4.1 -> 5.0
5.0 -> 5.1

5.1 -> 5.[45] don't require anything at present, but 5.x -> 6.0 may.

Major version in the context of upstream MySQL is the first TWO digits.

This should be mentioned in the news item since what MySQL thinks are
"major" version numbers disagrees with the common sense of:

Major.minor.patch

Most people will interpret "older major version" as being MySQL 4.x and
older.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Duncan

Duncan posted on Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:14:08 +0000 as excerpted:

> I /am/ going to post a message to the kde lists (where I'm a regular)
> asking about mysql upgrades there. We'll see what they say.

You'll probably not be particulary interested in this, robbat2, but for
others following who might be:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.general/22753

No response yet, of course, I just posted it.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Petteri Räty

On 15.2.2010 22.26, Robin H. Johnson wrote:

> As soon as the 72 hours on this news announcement are done, I'm going to
> be unmasking it. I do expect most of the breakage to come from the
> client libraries, and NOT any actual data storage issues. If MySQL
> detects that it's not safe to access a table, it does give you a
> suitable error to repair the table.

pr@gentoo.org has yet to be CCed to any mails as far as I can see.
It's done now.

Regards,
Petteri

Old 02-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Joshua Saddler

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 06:37:03 -0800
Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 15.2.2010 22.26, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
>

> > As soon as the 72 hours on this news announcement are done, I'm going to
> > be unmasking it. I do expect most of the breakage to come from the
> > client libraries, and NOT any actual data storage issues. If MySQL
> > detects that it's not safe to access a table, it does give you a
> > suitable error to repair the table.
> >

> pr@gentoo.org has yet to be CCed to any mails as far as I can see.
> It's done now.

I still don't know why we're always CCed . . . but anyway, the latest version that Robin posted looks okay. Including the upgrade procedure link was the most important add-on.