Old 02-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Christian Faulhammer

Default Remove "dev"-status of mips profiles

Hi,

Torsten Veller <tove@gentoo.org>:

> Can we please move the mips profiles from "dev" to "exp" in
> profiles/profiles.desc?

Agreement here. Maybe a restart on non-obsolete MIPS hardware (read
Loongson instead of SGI) would be great.

V-Li

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>

Old 02-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Brian Harring

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 04:54:38PM +0100, Torsten Veller wrote:
> Can we please move the mips profiles from "dev" to "exp" in
> profiles/profiles.desc?
>

> The ~150 mips development profiles increase the time for a
> `repoman -d full` run in dev-perl/ from three to five minutes. That is
> an increase of roughly 66 percent.
> repoman further prints more than 2000 lines of output for two keywording
> problems.

Quick pcheck visibility scan of the full tree, stats follow:

mips profiles still enabled:
* 116191 seperate dependency issues, 1 line per profile/dependency
issue
* roughly 2m39s run time

mips profiles disabled (leaving mips-irix however)
* 9550 seperate dependency issues, 1 line per profile/dependency issue
* roughly 1m54s run time.

So... mips accounts for about 30% of the pcheck runtime, and *92%* of
known visibility issues. As for the runtime difference between
pcheck/repoman, pcheck has some tricks internally to reduce the # of
profiles it has to scan down to just the unique USE/mask set- I'd
expect the mips impact to be far larger w/out that trick in place.

At the very least if it's going to be kept around, experimental or
not, the number of profiles in use there *really* needs reduction-
mips has roughly 117 profiles listed in profiles.desc out of 217-
literally ~54% of all dev/stable/experimental profiles.

Either way, stats to chew on.
~harring

Old 02-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Jeremy Olexa

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:41:41 -0800, Brian Harring <ferringb@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 04:54:38PM +0100, Torsten Veller wrote:
>> Can we please move the mips profiles from "dev" to "exp" in
>> profiles/profiles.desc?
>>

>> The ~150 mips development profiles increase the time for a
>> `repoman -d full` run in dev-perl/ from three to five minutes. That is
>> an increase of roughly 66 percent.
>> repoman further prints more than 2000 lines of output for two
keywording
>> problems.
>
> Quick pcheck visibility scan of the full tree, stats follow:
>
> mips profiles still enabled:
> * 116191 seperate dependency issues, 1 line per profile/dependency
> issue
> * roughly 2m39s run time
>
> mips profiles disabled (leaving mips-irix however)
> * 9550 seperate dependency issues, 1 line per profile/dependency issue
> * roughly 1m54s run time.
>
> So... mips accounts for about 30% of the pcheck runtime, and *92%* of
> known visibility issues. As for the runtime difference between
> pcheck/repoman, pcheck has some tricks internally to reduce the # of
> profiles it has to scan down to just the unique USE/mask set- I'd
> expect the mips impact to be far larger w/out that trick in place.
>
> At the very least if it's going to be kept around, experimental or
> not, the number of profiles in use there *really* needs reduction-
> mips has roughly 117 profiles listed in profiles.desc out of 217-
> literally ~54% of all dev/stable/experimental profiles.

I agree, I wasn't sure why so many profiles were added[1] for a dead team
(for all intensive purposes). Seems quite silly to me to leave them as
'dev' status. If a member of the mips team would reply to this thread, that
would be good. (and surprising to me

I would guess that it would be far easier to work in an overlay at this
point. I would also guess that if there are ANY mips users out there that
they would have to use some other ACCEPT_KEYWORDS value because the shape
of ~mips is so...bad.
-Jeremy

[1]:
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/profiles/profiles.desc?r1=1.151&r2=1.152

Old 02-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Brian Harring

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 06:56:58PM +0000, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> I would guess that it would be far easier to work in an overlay at this
> point. I would also guess that if there are ANY mips users out there that
> they would have to use some other ACCEPT_KEYWORDS value because the shape
> of ~mips is so...bad.

Might want to wait till the cvs->git transition occurs, assuming it's
in the next few months- primarily, preserve history, they can just
fork the tree off and mainline can start pruning.

Till then the profiles could pretty easily be disabled if folks
wanted.
~harring

Old 02-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Brian Harring

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 06:56:58PM +0000, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> > At the very least if it's going to be kept around, experimental or
> > not, the number of profiles in use there *really* needs reduction-
> > mips has roughly 117 profiles listed in profiles.desc out of 217-
> > literally ~54% of all dev/stable/experimental profiles.

Correction also- they've got 154 rather than 117, meaning 71% of
all profiles for a scan.

Not sure how I screwed that number up, but aparently I managed it.
~harring

Old 02-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Samuli Suominen

On 02/11/2010 08:56 PM, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
>>> Can we please move the mips profiles from "dev" to "exp" in
>>> profiles/profiles.desc?
>>> The ~150 mips development profiles increase the time for a
>>> `repoman -d full` run in dev-perl/ from three to five minutes. That is
>>> an increase of roughly 66 percent.
>>> repoman further prints more than 2000 lines of output for two
> keywording
>>> problems.
>>
>> Quick pcheck visibility scan of the full tree, stats follow:
>>
>> mips profiles still enabled:
>> * 116191 seperate dependency issues, 1 line per profile/dependency
>> issue
>> * roughly 2m39s run time
>>
>> mips profiles disabled (leaving mips-irix however)
>> * 9550 seperate dependency issues, 1 line per profile/dependency issue
>> * roughly 1m54s run time.

[ .. ]

> [1]:
> http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/profiles/profiles.desc?r1=1.151&r2=1.152

We could at least delete the server/desktop/developer profiles from the
above list right away, not really required to have them for every
machine type IMHO

Old 02-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Christian Faulhammer

Hi,

Jeremy Olexa <darkside@gentoo.org>:
> I would guess that it would be far easier to work in an overlay at
> this point. I would also guess that if there are ANY mips users out
> there that they would have to use some other ACCEPT_KEYWORDS value
> because the shape of ~mips is so...bad.

Don't remove an architecture. Ask vapier what it means to reintroduce
it. Even if it rots, mark it as unmaintained and wait for someone to
pick-up.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Brian Harring

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:12:44PM +0100, Christian Faulhammer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jeremy Olexa <darkside@gentoo.org>:
> > I would guess that it would be far easier to work in an overlay at
> > this point. I would also guess that if there are ANY mips users out
> > there that they would have to use some other ACCEPT_KEYWORDS value
> > because the shape of ~mips is so...bad.
>
> Don't remove an architecture. Ask vapier what it means to reintroduce
> it. Even if it rots, mark it as unmaintained and wait for someone to
> pick-up.

I question if this will hold true when gentoo-x86 goes git; at the
very least folding an arch back into mainline should be a helluva lot
easier.

Anyone got any comments on similar attempts?
~harring

Old 02-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Torsten Veller

* Torsten Veller <tove@gentoo.org>:
> Can we please move the mips profiles from "dev" to "exp" in
> profiles/profiles.desc?

Based on the current feedback I'll change it not earlier than friday
next week if nobody objects.

--
Thanks

Old 02-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Mark Loeser

Torsten Veller <ml-en@veller.net> said:
> * Torsten Veller <tove@gentoo.org>:
> > Can we please move the mips profiles from "dev" to "exp" in
> > profiles/profiles.desc?
>
> Based on the current feedback I'll change it not earlier than friday
> next week if nobody objects.

That would be nice. I'd also love to know why we need about 150
different profiles for MIPS...

--
Mark Loeser
email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org