Old 02-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Alex Alexander

Default an update script for the gentoo developer

Hello fellow devs,

I've created a script to help me keep my tree/overlays up-to-date,
automatically regenerate metadata, update eix, etc.

It's not anything too sophisticated, but it works for me, so I thought
I'd share it with you guys.

An updated version of the script is available at my gentoo devspace:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~wired/scripts/update

./update -h gives you all available options
edit the script to set the defaults to your liking.

the script expects the following directory structure:

${DATA_DIR}/
main/
gentoo-x86/
gentoo/ (optional)
gentoo-news/ (optional)
overlays/
{various overlays}
overlays_disabled/
{overlays not used}
make.conf
autogenerated, holds active overlay list
imported in /etc/make.conf
${SCRIPT_OUTPUT}
if called with -c, all output goes here

the make.conf is sourced in /etc/make.conf and is generated each time
the overlays/ folder gets updated.

the script is constantly improved and I keep the online version
up-to-date. there are some options that diff/fetch the latest version
for you automatically.

I'll probably add a --sync option soon to make it useful on
systems without a CVS checkout.

hopefully some of you will find it useful.

patches and feedback always welcome
--
Alex Alexander :: wired
Gentoo Developer