Old 02-01-2010, 07:40 PM
"Robin H. Johnson"

Default Recent lists mail loss

As the listadmin, I'd like to apologize for some recent lists mail loss.

A spammer managed to get a subscription confirmation email send to a
spamtrap address, that promptly caused the lists server to be listed on
a blacklist for 12-14 hours.

During that time, approximately 2000 list deliveries were rejected due
to the RBL. First recorded rejection was around Feb 1 00:20 UTC, last
recorded was Feb 1 13:35 UTC.

I've included full log details in a blogpost:
http://robbat2.livejournal.com/236942.html

If you know anybody that runs similar spamtraps, please ask them to
ensure list confirmation requests are NOT treated as spam.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : robbat2@gentoo.org

Old 02-02-2010, 06:02 AM
ALIP BUDIANTO

As the listadmin, I'd like to apologize for some recent lists mail loss.

A spammer managed to get a subscription confirmation email send to a

spamtrap address, that promptly caused the lists server to be listed on

a blacklist for 12-14 hours.

During that time, approximately 2000 list deliveries were rejected due

to the RBL. First recorded rejection was around Feb 1 00:20 UTC, last

recorded was Feb 1 13:35 UTC.

I've included full log details in a blogpost:

http://robbat2.livejournal.com/236942.html

If you know anybody that runs similar spamtraps, please ask them to

ensure list confirmation requests are NOT treated as spam.

--

Robin Hugh Johnson

E-Mail * * : robbat2@gentoo.org

GnuPG FP * : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED *F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85

Woah so thats why I had to move the subscribe messages to the Inbox in gmail. THey may be CONNECTED TO THAT SPAM LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Hanno Böck

There's a german statement from the Nix Spam RBL.

Spamtrap-legt-Gentoos-Mailinglisten-
lahm/forum-48292/msg-18035095/read/showthread-1/

As many here probably can't read german, the important points are:
- RFC 3834 defines headers for automatically sent mails, seems our mailing
list software doesn't do that - but robbat2 commented in his blog is already
in contact with upstream about that.
- they claim that nobody contacted them directly and their automatic delisting
method was not used.

I'm personally using the mentioned RBL on my servers and I read some articles
and heared some talks from their operators and generally think they are doing
good work, so I wanted to share that.

cu,
--
Hanno Böck Blog: http://www.hboeck.de/
GPG: 3DBD3B20 Jabber/Mail: hanno@hboeck.de

Old 02-03-2010, 10:09 PM
"Robin H. Johnson"

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 11:53:08PM +0100, Hanno Böck wrote:
> There's a german statement from the Nix Spam RBL.

> Spamtrap-legt-Gentoos-Mailinglisten-
> lahm/forum-48292/msg-18035095/read/showthread-1/
>
> As many here probably can't read german, the important points are:
> - RFC 3834 defines headers for automatically sent mails, seems our mailing
> list software doesn't do that - but robbat2 commented in his blog is already
> in contact with upstream about that.
> - they claim that nobody contacted them directly and their automatic delisting
> method was not used.
I only noted it after the 12 hour period was up, and it had expired from
their listing.

mlmmj is sending RF3834 headers on some mails, but not all of them.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : robbat2@gentoo.org