Old 02-01-2010, 12:28 AM
"Robin H. Johnson"

Default MySQL 5.1 series - to be unmasked 2010/02/08, testing required

First of all, I'd like everybody to give jmbsvicetto for all the work
he's put into helping get MySQL 5.1 into shape again on Gentoo.

MySQL 5.1 is now available in dev-db/mysql, and we really need people
that are willing to test it out on their systems. We've gotten all the
testing we can out of the testsuites, and now it needs more real-world
experience.

I'd like to remove the package.mask block in 1 week, at 2010/Feb/08
00:00UTC.

Upstream has deemed the 5.0 series to be at the end of it's active
support life cycle 2009/Dec/31, and only known security vulnerabilities
and major issues will be fixed in it. I wouldn't hold my breath for some
security issues to be fixed either, there are known past issues that
have taken a very long time to be fixed in the older branches.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : robbat2@gentoo.org