Old 01-26-2010, 12:26 AM
Duncan

Default emerge -C eselect-python disaster

Dale posted on Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:06:06 -0600 as excerpted:

> I am subscribed to -user as well. I been using Gentoo since the 1.4
> days. This is about improving portage which is a good thing to talk
> about here. The devs do it, not the user. ;-) Also, I already know
> how to use portage pretty good. I'm not asking for support just trying
> to improve things.

Do note that there's a portage-specific list as well. IDR what the name
is but on gmane (where I follow it) it's the
gmane.linux.gentoo.portage.devel newsgroup. It's not a user list either,
but they're reasonably friendly and it wouldn't be bothering the non-
portage devs that way.

As for this, I say let it be (except for possibly making -C output a
bigger warning in general). The documentation is pretty clear, and Gentoo
never has been about hand-holding. If a user can't read the documentation
and thus asks to screw themselves, Gentoo provides the tools to do it --
and they're POWER tools, too! =:^) I don't see that changing and don't
believe it should. There's other distributions out there for users who
want or need a namby-pamby baby-sat hand-held version. Gentoo is not and
never has been the right choice for them, and I don't believe we should be
trying to make it so. (That said, a warning on -C similar to that on -c,
might be wise, but that's an implementation detail the discussion of which
doesn't belong here.)