Old 01-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Torsten Veller

Default EAPI-3 times and dates

EAPI-3 was approved by the council during their last meeting (2010-01-18).

Which portage versions do support it?
(I wasn't able to find it in the docs.)

When can we stabilize EAPI-3 ebuilds?
(I guess this is again a council decision?)

How long do we have to provide ebuilds for older EAPIs?
(We can drop them as long as users are able to upgrade to an EAPI-3
capable package-manager for at least one year from now/after
stabilisation?)

Is this worth to be documented if it isn't?

Old 01-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Petteri Rty

On 01/22/2010 10:58 AM, Torsten Veller wrote:
> EAPI-3 was approved by the council during their last meeting (2010-01-18).
>
> Which portage versions do support it?
> (I wasn't able to find it in the docs.)

I haven't heard of a release that would.

> When can we stabilize EAPI-3 ebuilds?
> (I guess this is again a council decision?)

When a Portage version supporting EAPI-3 is stable. Council can
acknowledge at this point.

> How long do we have to provide ebuilds for older EAPIs?
> (We can drop them as long as users are able to upgrade to an EAPI-3
> capable package-manager for at least one year from now/after
> stabilisation?)

Normally ebuild developers can just use the latest. As you said the only
thing that matters is the package manager upgrade path and that only
concerns a few packages.

Regards,
Petteri

Old 01-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Zac Medico

On 01/22/2010 12:58 AM, Torsten Veller wrote:
> EAPI-3 was approved by the council during their last meeting (2010-01-18).
>
> Which portage versions do support it?
> (I wasn't able to find it in the docs.)

It's supported in portage-2.1.7.17 and 2.2_rc62 which have just been
released.

--
Thanks,
Zac

Old 01-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Jacob Godserv

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 16:43, Zac Medico <zmedico@gentoo.org> wrote:
> It's supported in portage-2.1.7.17 and 2.2_rc62 which have just been
> released.

Just to clarify: it's EAPI 3 and not EAPI 3_pre2?

--
Jacob

"For then there will be great distress, unequaled
from the beginning of the world until now — and never
to be equaled again. If those days had not been cut
short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the
elect those days will be shortened."

Are you ready?

Old 01-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Zac Medico

On 01/29/2010 01:45 PM, Jacob Godserv wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 16:43, Zac Medico <zmedico@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> It's supported in portage-2.1.7.17 and 2.2_rc62 which have just been
>> released.
>
> Just to clarify: it's EAPI 3 and not EAPI 3_pre2?

Right, EAPI 3_pre2 is deprecated now.

--
Thanks,
Zac

Old 01-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

On 22 January 2010 08:58, Torsten Veller <ml-en@veller.net> wrote:
> When can we stabilize EAPI-3 ebuilds?

Note that you can't stick EAPI 3 ebuilds in gentoo-x86, even
package.masked, until the Portage version used to generate the
metadata shipped by rsync supports EAPI 3. Which apparently is not
yet...

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 01-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Zac Medico

On 01/31/2010 06:47 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On 22 January 2010 08:58, Torsten Veller <ml-en@veller.net> wrote:
>> When can we stabilize EAPI-3 ebuilds?
>
> Note that you can't stick EAPI 3 ebuilds in gentoo-x86, even
> package.masked, until the Portage version used to generate the
> metadata shipped by rsync supports EAPI 3. Which apparently is not
> yet...

It's fixed now:

http://bugs.gentoo.org/302993

--