Old 01-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Ben de Groot

Default Moving IRC provider

It is that time of the month again for Freenode, and I'm sure I'm not
the only one whose patience with its continued failures is running
out. About a year and a half ago there was a crisis that sparked
interest in moving to OFTC, but action was never taken. How long are
we going to continue to accept the failures of Freenode? And more
importantly, what needs to happen for us to finally move to OFTC (or
another network if that is preferred)?

Thoroughly annoyed,
--
Ben de Groot
Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)

Old 01-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@gentoo.org> wrote:
> It is that time of the month again for Freenode, and I'm sure I'm not
> the only one whose patience with its continued failures is running
> out. About a year and a half ago there was a crisis that sparked
> interest in moving to OFTC, but action was never taken. How long are
> we going to continue to accept the failures of Freenode? And more
> importantly, what needs to happen for us to finally move to OFTC (or
> another network if that is preferred)?

The same thoughts went through my head, but upon reading about their
problems with js spam[1], and their plans to move to a new IRCD[2]
which has anti-spam capabilities, I say give them some more time.

1. http://blog.freenode.net/2010/01/javascript-spam/
2. http://blog.freenode.net/2010/01/ircd-migration-sat-jan-30th-2010/

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Old 01-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Roy Bamford

On 2010.01.20 13:34, Ben de Groot wrote:
> It is that time of the month again for Freenode, and I'm sure I'm not
> the only one whose patience with its continued failures is running
> out. About a year and a half ago there was a crisis that sparked
> interest in moving to OFTC, but action was never taken. How long are
> we going to continue to accept the failures of Freenode? And more
> importantly, what needs to happen for us to finally move to OFTC (or
> another network if that is preferred)?
>
> Thoroughly annoyed,
> --
> Ben de Groot
> Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)

Ben,

Lets see how irc-seven works out.

Roy Bamford
(Neddyseagoon) an member of