Old 01-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Ben de Groot

Default LibGL.la removal news item for =eselect-opengl-1.1.1-r2 going stable

2010/1/17 "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@gentoo.org>:
> I wonder why the affected package (eselect-opengl) couldn't run
> lafilefixer itself. It's mandatory for all users, and would save a lot
> of frustration.

Indeed. You can simply have this version of eselect-opengl depend on
lafilefixer and run it in pkg_postinst.

Cheers,
--
Ben de Groot
Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)

Old 01-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Daniel Pielmeier

2010/1/17 Krzysiek Pawlik <nelchael@gentoo.org>:
> On 01/17/10 18:20, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
>>> Please: When you run tools which break checksums/dates of the database,
>>> give the user the possibility to decide whether he really wants this.
>>
>> Good point, I didn't realize that. However, I'd rather fix the tool (for
>> example to update the portage database).
>
> Nope, that's a bad idea unless you plan to implement such feature for portage,
> paludis and pkgcore (and possibly other package managers).
>
> So use revdep-rebuild (longer but correct solution) or lafilefixer (quicker but
> introduces other problems).

For those who actually worry about the md5sum breakage lafilefixer
causes, they can run lafilefixer in post_src_install using
/etc/portage/bashrc. This way the correct md5sums of the la-files are
recorded into the database.

Or even better write a python implementation of lafilefixer so bug
#271129 [1] could be fixed and portage takes care of it internally.

[1] http://bugs.gentoo.org/271129

--
Daniel Pielmeier