Old 01-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Peter Hjalmarsson

Default layman storage location (again)

mån 2010-01-18 klockan 12:40 +0100 skrev Michael Haubenwallner:
> Alex Alexander wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 09:05:58AM +0100, Peter Hjalmarsson wrote:
> >> I sometimes think the main problem is the tree itself. Portage really
> >> should had a directory of its own, but maybe with anoher structure,
> >> like /var/portage, /var/portage/tree (the current
> >> PORTDIR), /var/portage/distfiles (i.e. split out distfiles from the tree
> >> itself), /var/portage/overlays/layman or /var/portage/layman.
> >> I of course realize that change the structure of the whole portdir would
> >> had inresting complications, so take this comment just as serious as you
> >> like.
> <snip>
> > /var/portage/
> > /var/portage/tree
> > /var/portage/layman
> > /var/portage/overlays (non-layman managed, layman could also be in here)
> > /var/portage/distfiles
> > /var/portage/packages
>
> Not that I really care, but are these "portage-only" and we might need
> /var/{paludis,pkgcore,...}/*? So what about /var/gentoo/*?
>
> /haubi/

I think "gentoo" is too non-specific. "portage" is more or less a good
name for everything with regards to the package management in gentoo.

That there is a name collision between that and the default
implementation of a package manager I see just as an coincidence.
Just like Gentoo both can refer to a distribution and a file-browser.
Or RPM is both a file-format and a tool to handle said file format.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Sebastian Pipping

On 01/16/10 19:52, Peter Hjalmarsson wrote:
> That is for the overlays, yeah?
> But hov about the cache_*.xml files?
>
> I think what he meant was that should layman really only has one
> directory? One for cache (downloaded/downloadable lists of overlays?
> in /var/cache/layman/?), one for the make.conf and overlay.xml
> (/etc/layman/?) and maybe one more directory for the overlays
> (/var/lib/layman/?).
>
> That make.conf/overlay.xml may not go as cache, nor do the overlays
> themselves, but as I said, should really it all be in the same
> directory?

yes, cache_*.xml are a bit different. Would you benefit from a move of
these files to /var/chache/layman?

Sebastian

Old 01-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Sebastian Pipping

On 01/18/10 01:38, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> On 01/17/10 21:31, Thilo Bangert wrote:
>> /var/layman i dislike due to this sentence in the FHS:
>>
>> "Applications must generally not add directories to the top level of
>> /var. Such directories should only be added if they have some system-wide
>> implication[...]"
>
> [..]
>
> current ranking through my eyes:
>
> 1) /var/layman con: adds folder to /var, maybe should not
> 2) /var/db/layman con: you tell me
> 3) /var/lib/layman con: not really /var/lib-style data

let me put the thoughts we collected so far to a decision.

looking at /var shows, that not many application really dared to have a
dedicated folder in /var directly:

# find /var -maxdepth 1 -type d
/var
/var/tmp
/var/lost+found
/var/www
/var/cache
/var/spool
/var/run
/var/lock
/var/db
/var/gdm <-- gnome-base/gdm
/var/lib
/var/empty <-- net-misc/openssh
/var/log
/var/state

after re-considering the requirements for /var/lib/layman the data in
there can be host-specific (and therefore is not host-independent in
general). i think it fits _well enough_ and to my impression it has
less potential of turning out wrong than non-FHS /var/db:

so /var/lib/layman is the new default.

expect related commits to layman soon.

sebastian

Old 01-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Monday 18 January 2010 19:05:23 Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> /var/empty <-- net-misc/openssh

this isnt exactly openssh specific. a few other packages use it as well for
their users because it's guaranteed to be empty.
-mike