Old 01-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Pacho Ramos

Default layman storage location (again)

El sáb, 16-01-2010 a las 17:16 +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan escribió:
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >> It's just impossible to choose perfect location that suits all needs and
> >> it should stay user-configurable. So again, do not change this default
> >> we no real need another time, please.
> >
> > /usr/local is a bad choice for an ebuild-generated default. Like I said in bug
> > #253725 I don't want ebuilds to mess with stuff in /usr/local. So either remove
> > this default completely and let the user decide when setting up layman or move
> > it around.
> > The best suggestions I've read here for now were either /var/layman or
> > /usr/layman which I would have no problem with.
> >

> /me throws in /usr/share/layman
>
> OTOH, I really think /usr/local/layman is OK as long as it's
> runtime-generated and not added by the ebuild. That should satisfy bug
> 253725, and prevent another painful location move. It also makes sense
> from the "/usr/local is user/admin domain" since only running the
> layman tool will cause those directories to be created.

From my (layman user) point of view I am still using /usr/portage/local
for it because I prefer to have all "portage trees" in the same place.
Maybe another option could be to have a /usr/portage/overlays directory
used for "unofficial" overlays, then, layman configuration stuff (like
its make.conf and so) could be present under /etc/layman, while overlays
(sunrise, gnome...) could be installed under /usr/portage/overlays

Old 01-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Ben de Groot

2010/1/16 Sebastian Pipping <sping@gentoo.org>:
> On 01/16/10 02:45, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> if you want to keep all of layman's stuff together, then about your only
>> option is to create your own tree at like /var/layman/.
>
> anybody objecting to /var/layman ?

I like that.

--
Ben de Groot
Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)

Old 01-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Ben de Groot

2010/1/16 Peter Volkov <pva@gentoo.org>:
> layman cache is nfs distributable. Also it's good idea to have it close
> to PORTDIR. Thus I'd like to keep it somewhere at /usr.

I'd like both to be under /var/

Cheers,

Old 01-16-2010, 12:06 PM

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 01:57:38PM +0100, Ben de Groot wrote:
> 2010/1/16 Peter Volkov <pva@gentoo.org>:
> > layman cache is nfs distributable. Also it's good idea to have it close
> > to PORTDIR. Thus I'd like to keep it somewhere at /usr.
>
> I'd like both to be under /var/

I _use_ both under /var/. In my config PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/var/repos/{many
directories}" and PORTDIR="/var/repos/gentoo". /usr/ is too crazy place
for ebuilds. IMHO.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Sebastian Pipping

On 01/16/10 05:39, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Friday 15 January 2010 20:55:18 Sebastian Pipping wrote:
>> On 01/16/10 02:45, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>>> the better idea
>>> though would be to split your stuff along the proper lines.
>>>
>>> cache files = /var/cache/layman/
>>
>> as i said: it's not a "normal" cache.
>
> you said but didnt explain why it's "special". these are merely caches of
> external overlays and xml caches of overlay lists.

to me cache is something that speeds up operation but does not hold
content of real value. with layman overlay "checkouts" that's a bit
different. let's say a host overlay is taken offline: now the layman
copy is my only source. Page [1] describes /var/cache as
"Long term data which can be regenerated". so to me it's not a cache
because there might be data in there that we cannot regenerate.

sebastian

[1] http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/filesystem/index.html

Old 01-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Sebastian Pipping

On 01/16/10 12:17, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> How about storing it in DISTDIR (like metadata.xml)? Or storing it
> somewhere in the rsync image?

I'm not really sure what you have in mind.
Can you make it a bit more "visual" for me?

Sebastian

Old 01-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Sebastian Pipping

On 01/16/10 13:56, Ben de Groot wrote:
>> anybody objecting to /var/layman ?
>
> I like that.

it seems that

/var/layman

is the only location nobody has objected to, yet. i plan to go with
that atm. /var/lib/layman is my second favorite.

again, any objections?

sebastian

Old 01-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Sebastian Pipping <sping@gentoo.org> wrote:
> it seems that
>
> */var/layman
>
> is the only location nobody has objected to, yet. *i plan to go with
> that atm. */var/lib/layman is my second favorite.
>
> again, any objections?

Why not make it a configuration option, with the default as
/var/layman (or whatever you want)? Then you can auto-generate it at
runtime easily, and everyone can use whatever they want. Just like
PORTDIR can be changed by anyone to anything they want.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Old 01-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Jörg Schaible

dev-random@mail.ru wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 01:57:38PM +0100, Ben de Groot wrote:
>> 2010/1/16 Peter Volkov <pva@gentoo.org>:
>> > layman cache is nfs distributable. Also it's good idea to have it close
>> > to PORTDIR. Thus I'd like to keep it somewhere at /usr.
>>
>> I'd like both to be under /var/
>>

> I _use_ both under /var/. In my config PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/var/repos/{many
> directories}" and PORTDIR="/var/repos/gentoo". /usr/ is too crazy place
> for ebuilds. IMHO.

Same for me. I have PORTDIR also beneath /var ...

- Jörg

Old 01-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Sebastian Pipping

On 01/16/10 19:31, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> Why not make it a configuration option, with the default as
> /var/layman (or whatever you want)?

It is configurable already (see /etc/layman/layman.cfg)

# Defines the directory where overlays should be installed

storage : /path/to/somewhere

We're discussing the default only.

Sebastian