Old 01-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Sebastian Pipping

Default layman storage location (again)

Hello!

By default layman currently stores overlays into

/usr/local/portage/layman

(was /usr/portage/local/layman before that).
As of bug 253725 [1] that's not without problems.

I would like to get it right with the next switch.
Would

/var/lib/layman

do well? /var/cache/layman seems inadequate as it might not be
regenerated [2] without losses (as upstream moves along).

Would be great to hear a few opinions. Thanks!

Sebastian

[1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/253725
[2] http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/filesystem/index.html

Old 01-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Jeremy Olexa

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 20:36:20 +0100, Sebastian Pipping <sping@gentoo.org>
wrote:
> Hello!
>

> By default layman currently stores overlays into
>
> /usr/local/portage/layman
>
> (was /usr/portage/local/layman before that).
> As of bug 253725 [1] that's not without problems.

I don't think it should be changed again. It is quite annoying to have to
hunt down where the $next layman location is.

Why can't layman create /usr/local/portage/layman at runtime if it doesn't
exist and then you can remove the keepdir line from the ebuild??

-Jeremy

Old 01-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Alex Legler

<sping@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Would
>
> /var/lib/layman
>
> do well?

+1

--
Alex Legler | Gentoo Security / Ruby
a3li@gentoo.org | a3li@jabber.ccc.de

Old 01-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Dawid Węgliński

On Friday 15 January 2010 20:44:43 Alex Legler wrote:
> > /var/lib/layman
> >
> > do well?
>
> +1

-1, /usr/local/layman?
--
Cheers
Dawid Węgliński

Old 01-15-2010, 10:33 PM
"Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto"

Old 01-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Dawid Węgliński

On Saturday 16 January 2010 00:33:15 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:

> >> +1
> >
> > -1, /usr/local/layman?
>
> Wouldn't that break the rule that /usr/local is reserved for users /
> admins?
>
> From the alternatives, /var/lib/layman doesn't sound right. If
> /var/cache/layman doesn't work, what about /var/spool/layman instead?

Or just leave it up to user with elog message... Or ask him first to set
variable in /etc/make.conf?

--
Cheers
Dawid Węgliński

Old 01-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Ben de Groot

2010/1/15 Dawid Węgliński <cla@gentoo.org>:
> On Friday 15 January 2010 20:44:43 Alex Legler wrote:
>> > * /var/lib/layman
>> >
>> > do well?
>>
>> +1
>>
> -1, /usr/local/layman?

/usr/local/ is a location the system should avoid. Somewhere in /var/
seems to be the logical place.

Cheers,
--
Ben de Groot
Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)