Old 01-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas

Default New application for gentoo: app-portage/kportagetray

Hello fellows,

I started to code a new application to make some daily tasks easier with
portage. It is called KPortageTray.

It is coded with PyKDE, so, unfortunately (or fortunately ) you will need
PyKDE and KDE to install it.
I'm not sure if I make something that will need portage 2.2, if anyone can
tell me I'll appreciate.

By now, I just implemented some very common tasks like:

- Sync portage tree;
- Upgrade world set;
- Check if there are upgrade available;
* I'll make something to schedule it in future versions.
- Upgrade portage version;
- Run etc-update, revdep-rebuild or execute dep-clean at the system.

I used a very simple approach: for every actions that the user must see the
output, a script execute a konsole with kdesu. With this way, isn't necessary
to run the application as root which, in my opinion, is better.

This application can save some typing with daily tasks, but it will never
substitute CLI, since some complicate things is very hard to handle. For
example, if there are some Block, KPortageTray warning the user, show the
output from emerge and let the user resolve it. But, since it is very uncommon
to have a Block, this software can really save some time.

I make some tests but it is at the beginning of development, so I'm asking for
help do add new features / give ideas / report bugs. If the community like it,
maybe I'll open a git repository somewhere.

I took three screenshots:

http://yfrog.com/7akportagetray01p
http://yfrog.com/11kportagetray02p
http://yfrog.com/b6kportagetray03p

And I'm attaching tarball and ebuild (80KiB ~) and I would appreciate if
someone test it and give me a feedback

My future plans is to make possible to use just PyQT instead PyKDE or make a
version using PyGTK.

Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas
Control and Automation Engineer
Gentoo Foundation Member
# Copyright 1999-2009 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: media-gfx/digikam/digikam-1.0.0.ebuild, 2009/12/22 Ronis_BR $

EAPI="2"
KDE_LINGUAS="pt_BR"
inherit kde4-base

DESCRIPTION="A set of basic operations for Portage."
HOMEPAGE=""
SRC_URI="${P}.tar.bz2"

LICENSE="GPL-2"
KEYWORDS="~amd64"
SLOT="0"
IUSE=""

RDEPEND="
>=kde-base/kdelibs-${KDE_MINIMAL}
>=kde-base/kdesu-${KDE_MINIMAL}
>=kde-base/konsole-${KDE_MINIMAL}
>=kde-base/pykde4-${KDE_MINIMAL}
dev-python/PyQt4[svg]
dev-lang/python:2.6
"
DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
"

DOCS="ChangeLog"

src_configure() {
kde4-base_src_configure
}

Old 03-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Ondřej Súkup

looks good , its support overlays (layman) ??

Old 03-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Locke Shinseiko

On Fri March 26 2010 17:06:58 Ondřej Súkup wrote:
> looks good , its support overlays (layman) ??

Hi, I have been assisting Ronan with coding and maintenance for kportagetray.

full layman support is a planned feature, though I need to do
some re-design of the GUI first, the tab bar is getting out of hand, adding
yet another tab at this point would just make it messier.

in addition to the numbered versions in gentoo-x86, we have a live ebuild in
kde overlay, which is generally slightly more up to date than the numbered
versions. (especially currently, where the latest in g-x86 has a bug with the
latest ~arch PyQt)

--
Locke Shinseiko