Old 12-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Diego E. Petten˛

Default QA last rites for media-gfx/viewer

# Diego E. Petten˛ <flameeyes@gentoo.org> (24 Dec 2009)
# on behalf of QA team
#
# Fails to build if /usr/X11R6 is not present (bug #247737,
# open November 2008).
#
# Removal on 2010-02-22
media-gfx/viewer

Old 12-25-2009, 06:43 PM
James Cloos

Diego> # Fails to build if /usr/X11R6 is not present (bug #247737,

A bit trivial of an issue to drop a package, ja?

The QA team should generate more patches and fewer kills.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

Old 12-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Samuli Suominen

On 12/25/2009 09:43 PM, James Cloos wrote:

> Diego> # Fails to build if /usr/X11R6 is not present (bug #247737,
>
> A bit trivial of an issue to drop a package, ja?
>
> The QA team should generate more patches and fewer kills.

Manpower. Feel free to join up and help. A handful of people can't fix
everything. If it's broken, it shouldn't be in tree, simple as that.

-Samuli

Old 12-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Jeremy Olexa

James Cloos wrote:

"Diego" == Diego E Petten´┐Ż <flameeyes@gmail.com> writes:

Diego> # Fails to build if /usr/X11R6 is not present (bug #247737,

A bit trivial of an issue to drop a package, ja?

The QA team should generate more patches and fewer kills.

-JimC

Also, where is the removal notice on bugzilla? I was going to create a
version bump bug that blocked the removal bug but it didn't exist. In
this case, not only did the QA team not create a (seemingly trivial)
patch, but they didn't even follow standard package removal protocol.

-Jeremy

Old 12-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Petteri R├Ąty

On 12/25/2009 10:41 PM, Jeremy Olexa wrote:

>> Diego> # Fails to build if /usr/X11R6 is not present (bug #247737,
>>
>> A bit trivial of an issue to drop a package, ja?
>>
>> The QA team should generate more patches and fewer kills.
>>
>> -JimC
>
> Also, where is the removal notice on bugzilla? I was going to create a
> version bump bug that blocked the removal bug but it didn't exist. In
> this case, not only did the QA team not create a (seemingly trivial)
> patch, but they didn't even follow standard package removal protocol.
>
> -Jeremy

Standard package removal protocol doesn't mandate opening a removal bug.
Treecleaner policy may but that's specific to them.

Regards,
Petteri

Old 12-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Jeroen Roovers

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 00:29:39 +0100
Diego E. Petten˛ <flameeyes@gmail.com> wrote:

> # Diego E. Petten˛ <flameeyes@gentoo.org> (24 Dec 2009)
> # on behalf of QA team
> #
> # Fails to build if /usr/X11R6 is not present (bug #247737,
> # open November 2008).
> #
> # Removal on 2010-02-22
> media-gfx/viewer

Oh, I fixed it in under five minutes, including stereoscopic viewing
time (admittedly without the use of the required goggles). Feel free to
CC me on bugs related to this package if you find any more pressing
issues.

jer

Old 12-27-2009, 05:32 PM
James Cloos

>> The QA team should generate more patches and fewer kills.

Samuli> Manpower. Feel free to join up and help. A handful of people
Samuli> can't fix everything.

It would have taken him less effort to fix the bug and commit a new
ebuild when he first saw it than it must have taken to file a bug
report and then, months later, kill the package.

And if he doesn't want to be the one to fix it, it is better to just
leave it alone.

Samuli> If it's broken, it shouldn't be in tree, simple as that.

As a user, I can only say bullshit to that.

Packages should not go away over trivial issues. That is harmful,
not helpful.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

Old 12-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Tomáš Chvátal

Old 01-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Thilo Bangert

Jeroen Roovers <jer@gentoo.org> said:
[snip]
> Feel free to
> CC me on bugs related to this package if you find any more pressing
> issues.

the standard way of indicating such an interest is to add yourself to
metadata.xml.

kind regards
Thilo

Old 01-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Jeroen Roovers

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 01:33:42 +0100
Thilo Bangert <bangert@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Jeroen Roovers <jer@gentoo.org> said:
> [snip]
> > Feel free to
> > CC me on bugs related to this package if you find any more pressing
> > issues.
>
> the standard way of indicating such an interest is to add yourself to
> metadata.xml.

I've known that for about five years now. What's your point?

jer