Old 12-21-2009, 10:10 PM
William Hubbs

Default openrc/baselayout2 stabilization update

All,

we are still working toward stabilizing openrc and baselayout-2.

The current status is that all of the bugs which have anything to do
with openrc/baselayout are assigned to the "baselayout" component in
bugzilla. Also, there is a tracker bug at
http://bugs.gentoo.org/295613.

It would be very helpful if others here could check the bugs and make
bugs that should block stabilization block the tracker. Also, any
solutions you have for blocking bugs would be very much appreciated.

Thanks much,

William

Old 12-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Robert Bradbury

I am not sure whether init and/or who are part of openrc -- but it is worth noting that "who -b" which is supposed to produce the system boot time still appears to be broken. *I believe I filed a bug report about this around the time of the late 2008 or early 2009 updates to openrc and I believe the developer acknowledged that it was a bug. *One can easily run a strace on "who -b" to see the files it is accessing and presumably this is a bug in the current init (or perhaps in Linux itself) that it is not writing a boot record into /var/tmp/utmp (for that is the file that who -b seems to open and attempt to read a boot-time record from).

uptime can substitute for who -b -- but the who -b result was more easily processed into forms that could be used to delete unused temporary files (which tend to be a common problem on gentoo systems where the reboots may not always be clean.

Robert

Old 12-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Tuesday 22 December 2009 14:19:19 Robert Bradbury wrote:

please do not top post

> I am not sure whether init and/or who are part of openrc -- but it is worth
> noting that "who -b" which is supposed to produce the system boot time
> still appears to be broken. I believe I filed a bug report about this
> around the time of the late 2008 or early 2009 updates to openrc and I
> believe the developer acknowledged that it was a bug.

then find said bug and mark it a blocker to the tracker William mentioned, or
open a new bug if there isnt one (i'm pretty sure there is one though)
-mike