Old 12-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Fabian Groffen

Default Gentoo Prefix Lite Quiz

As promised, here is the slimmed down version of the Prefix quiz. As
requested, I'll post the answers on -core.

Prefix development quiz (Zero taste)

** when porting ebuilds for Gentoo Prefix, one will get confronted with
certain problems, these two questions hint at such problems **

4. Package Y has a configure script that's just being run by econf.
You just added Y and now try to install it. What do you watch
for?
5. configure for package Z says "checking for libc... /lib/libc.so.6"
how do you proceed?

** working with Gentoo Prefix requires to have basic knowledge about how
various Prefix components interact with the system **

1. Which variables are specific to Prefix? What does each of them
represent? How can you construct them?
2. An ebuild in the main tree does
emake DESTDIR="${D}" somedir="${D}/somedir" otherdir="/other" install
what would you change to make it correct in Prefix?
3. Same question for
insinto /usr/bin
8. An eapify-ed ebuild contains if [ ${EROOT} = "/" ], is this correct?

** once potential problems can be recognised, solutions to them have to
be implemented **

4. A configure scripts checks for gawk and finds /usr/bin/gawk, how do
you proceed? What if it checks for a specific program via a
--with-program flag?
5. A package installs objects or libraries that depend on other shared
libraries. What do you check? What if the package installs some
scripts?
6. You fire up $EDITOR which you just emerged, and notice that you get
different colours than $EDITOR in regular Gentoo. What went probably
wrong?

** optional: Gentoo Prefix is different from other offset-based
solutions in a number of ways. The following question reveals the
most(?) developer-friendly difference **

7. References to dynamic libraries in Prefix are sort of "fixed" to find
the Prefix libraries. Why is this done?

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 12-28-2009, 06:41 AM
"Marijn Schouten (hkBst)"

On Friday 18 December 2009 14:00:06 Fabian Groffen wrote:
> As promised, here is the slimmed down version of the Prefix quiz. As
> requested, I'll post the answers on -core.
>

> Prefix development quiz (Zero taste)
>
> ** when porting ebuilds for Gentoo Prefix, one will get confronted with
> certain problems, these two questions hint at such problems **
>
> 4. Package Y has a configure script that's just being run by econf.
> You just added Y and now try to install it. What do you watch
> for?

Maybe better:

4. Package Y's configure script has just been run. What potential problems do
you especially need to be on the lookout for in the output of "./configure"?

Marijn