Old 12-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Brian Harring

Default News item for Paludis kdebuild-1 removal

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 07:54:25PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> Since kdebuild-1 is to be removed from PMS immediately, it's going to go
> from Paludis in the next release too. We need to warn users about this,
> since they'll no longer be able to uninstall kdebuild-1 packages they
> have installed. Please review the following GLEP 42 news item for this:
>
> Title: Paludis kdebuild-1 Removal
> Author: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@googlemail.com>
> Revision: 1
> News-Item-Format: 1.0
> Display-If-Installed: <sys-apps/paludis-0.44_alpha
>
> kdebuild-1 was an EAPI used by the Gentoo KDE team and the Genkdesvn
> project for various live ebuilds in overlays.
>
> The Gentoo Council has decided that all mention of the kdebuild-1 EAPI
> is to be removed from the Package Manager Specification immediately. As
> such, support for this EAPI, including support for uninstalling
> packages with that EAPI, will be removed from Paludis in version 0.44.

"KDEBUILD is no longer in use by any developers, as such paludis will
be removing support for it" is factually more accurate.

Council doesn't care if you leave KDEBUILD support in your PM-
considering you've been claiming leaving it in PMS was needed for
users (and that one must always think of the users), the wording
implying blaim on the council is rather unnecessary.

Jam it in your NEWS/RELEASE notes if you want to slant it, basically.

> Users should verify that they have no kdebuild-1 packages installed. If
> Paludis was built with the 'inquisitio' use flag enabled, you can use:
>
> $ inquisitio -K installed -k EAPI kdebuild-1
>
> Otherwise, use:
>
> $ paludis -q '*/*::/[.EAPI=kdebuild-1]'
>
> and, if any such packages are installed, they must be uninstalled
> before Paludis is upgraded.

This seems like this news item should be hitting gentoo-kde's overlay
on a sidenote- yes, the news item is about paludis, but the folk
affected are the ones who daftly used KDEBUILD eapis out of that
overlay.

Either this, or a seperate NEWS item added to that overlay stating
"KDEBUILD is dead, remove those merged pkgs" would be wise.

~harring

Old 12-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Ulrich Mueller

CC pr@gentoo.org please (as GLEP 42 requires).

> Display-If-Installed: <sys-apps/paludis-0.44_alpha

I think you should rather list the affected ebuilds here, i.e. the
ones that were using EAPI="kdebuild-1".

Ulrich

Old 12-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:31:11 +0100
Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Please review the following GLEP 42 news item for this:
>
> CC pr@gentoo.org please (as GLEP 42 requires).

Oops. Sent.

> > Display-If-Installed: <sys-apps/paludis-0.44_alpha
>
> I think you should rather list the affected ebuilds here, i.e. the
> ones that were using EAPI="kdebuild-1".

There's no way to match such packages using EAPI 0 deps (or any other
EAPI for that matter). Most of them were scm packages, but not
everything >9999 or whatever is kdebuild.

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 12-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Christian Faulhammer

Hi,

Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@googlemail.com>:

> Since kdebuild-1 is to be removed from PMS immediately, it's going to
> go from Paludis in the next release too. We need to warn users about
> this, since they'll no longer be able to uninstall kdebuild-1
> packages they have installed. Please review the following GLEP 42
> news item for this:

As we cannot be sure that a former GenKDEsvn user still uses some of
the KDE overlays, putting that news item in the main tree seems ok.
Although it is a special case. You have a committer for this?

> The Gentoo Council has decided that all mention of the kdebuild-1 EAPI
> is to be removed from the Package Manager Specification immediately.

How many users will care what the PMS is? And why is a cleaned up
specification breaking your implementation? Tell them that kdebuild-1
has reached its end of life and support will phase out.

V-Li

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>

Old 12-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:28:19 +0100
Christian Faulhammer <fauli@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Since kdebuild-1 is to be removed from PMS immediately, it's going
> > to go from Paludis in the next release too. We need to warn users
> > about this, since they'll no longer be able to uninstall kdebuild-1
> > packages they have installed. Please review the following GLEP 42
> > news item for this:
>
> As we cannot be sure that a former GenKDEsvn user still uses some of
> the KDE overlays, putting that news item in the main tree seems ok.

Plus some of the overlays that were using kdebuild-1 don't exist any
more...

> You have a committer for this?

Probably. There're enough Gentoo developers using Paludis that getting
things committed hasn't ever been an issue.

> > The Gentoo Council has decided that all mention of the kdebuild-1
> > EAPI is to be removed from the Package Manager Specification
> > immediately.
>
> How many users will care what the PMS is? And why is a cleaned up
> specification breaking your implementation? Tell them that kdebuild-1
> has reached its end of life and support will phase out.

It's the sort of thing Paludis users do tend to care about. PMS gets
mentioned often enough in answers on the Paludis mailing list, bug
tracker and IRC channels as answers to questions, so if there are any
users who haven't heard of it, we're merely bringing forward their
inevitable encounter slightly.

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 01-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Christian Faulhammer

Hi,

My proposal:

-----------
Title: Paludis kdebuild-1 Removal
Display-If-Installed: <sys-apps/paludis-0.44_alpha

kdebuild-1 was an EAPI used by the Gentoo KDE team and the Genkdesvn
project for various live ebuilds in overlays.

As support for this ebuild format has never been officially approved,
the support will phase out from the Paludis package manager. To avoid
any troubles users need to take some steps to properly remove all
kdebuild-1 packages from their installation.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:55 PM

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 04:24:32PM +0100, Christian Faulhammer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My proposal:

Too late. News item is already there.
(/usr/portage/metadata/news/2009-12-21-kdebuild/2009-12-21-kdebuild.en.txt)