Old 12-02-2009, 11:05 PM
William Hubbs

Default openrc stabilization todo

All,

I have been helping lately with the maintenance of openrc/baselayout-2.

I was just asked today on IRC about posting stabilization plans to the
list.

I don't have a stabilization plan, so, what I am going to do is post a
question to the list.

What still needs to be done before we can talk about stabilizing
openrc/baselayout-2? I haven't seen a todo list posted anywhere, and
there are several bugs out there related to openrc.

This is not an attempt to rush the stabilization, I just want to find
out what still needs to be done.

Please add your comments to this thread so I can put together a todo
list.

Thanks,

--
William Hubbs
gentoo accessibility team lead

Old 12-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Jeremy Olexa

William Hubbs wrote:

All,

I have been helping lately with the maintenance of openrc/baselayout-2.

I was just asked today on IRC about posting stabilization plans to the
list.

I don't have a stabilization plan, so, what I am going to do is post a
question to the list.

What still needs to be done before we can talk about stabilizing
openrc/baselayout-2? I haven't seen a todo list posted anywhere, and
there are several bugs out there related to openrc.

This is not an attempt to rush the stabilization, I just want to find
out what still needs to be done.

Please add your comments to this thread so I can put together a todo
list.

Thanks,

A few thoughts:

It makes it hard to triage the openrc bugs when when are on openrc-0.5.3
and there are openrc-0.2* bugs in the bug tracking system.

The openrc document will need to be combed through, inspected, etc.

A big change, so prepare a news item? I think Fauli already did this
some time ago.

Can parallel init script startup be made the default yet? I've been
running with it for months and never noticed a problem..

Thanks,
-Jeremy

Old 12-03-2009, 01:44 AM
Sylvain Alain

Hi everyone,* I think that the best should be to release a migration guide just before the official release and also a news on the first page of Gentoo.org

Sylvain Alain
d2_racing@gentoo.org

Old 12-03-2009, 04:36 AM
Joshua Saddler

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 02:44:47 +0000
Sylvain Alain <d2_racing@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone, I think that the best should be to release a migration guide
> just before the official release and also a news on the first page of
> Gentoo.org

You really should have checked our doc repo before sending your mail:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

I, Cardoe, and Uberlord wrote it back in April 2008[1].

[1] http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo/xml/htdocs/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

Old 12-03-2009, 07:16 AM
Christian Faulhammer

Hi,

Jeremy Olexa <darkside@gentoo.org>:
> It makes it hard to triage the openrc bugs when when are on
> openrc-0.5.3 and there are openrc-0.2* bugs in the bug tracking
> system.

Someone really knowing what he is doing is needed here. And with some
time. Another thing needed is an init script for wpa_supplicant.

> A big change, so prepare a news item? I think Fauli already did this
> some time ago.

Yes, but I haven't found time and desire to triage the bugs as I
intended to. The news item is in the archives of -dev. Some of my
todo items like a newer stable eselect are done.

V-Li

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>

Old 12-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Rémi Cardona

Can parallel init script startup be made the default yet? I've been
running with it for months and never noticed a problem..

I've been running it for more than a year on half a dozen boxes, without
any issues as well.

+1 for making it the default.

Thanks

Old 12-03-2009, 02:00 PM
William Hubbs

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 09:16:30AM +0100, Christian Faulhammer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jeremy Olexa <darkside@gentoo.org>:
> > It makes it hard to triage the openrc bugs when when are on
> > openrc-0.5.3 and there are openrc-0.2* bugs in the bug tracking
> > system.
>
> Someone really knowing what he is doing is needed here. And with some
> time.

Well, I have some time, so I'll try to generate a list of bugs to start
with and break them down into bugs against openrc itself and bugs
against other packages (init scripts, etc)

> Another thing needed is an init script for wpa_supplicant.

The init script for wpa_supplicant is done, but the maintainer chose
not to rev bump. http://bugs.gentoo.org/293443

> > A big change, so prepare a news item? I think Fauli already did this
> > some time ago.
>
> Yes, but I haven't found time and desire to triage the bugs as I
> intended to. The news item is in the archives of -dev. Some of my
> todo items like a newer stable eselect are done.

What other todo items do you have?

Old 12-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Christian Faulhammer

Hi,

William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org>:
> > Yes, but I haven't found time and desire to triage the bugs as I
> > intended to. The news item is in the archives of -dev. Some of my
> > todo items like a newer stable eselect are done.
>
> What other todo items do you have?

Actually:

* Doc updates, http://bugs.gentoo.org/213988
* Deprecated OpenRC http://bugs.gentoo.org/251730

The rest is done.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Maciej Mrozowski

On Thursday 03 of December 2009 15:06:12 Rémi Cardona wrote:
> Le 03/12/2009 02:22, Jeremy Olexa a écrit :
> > Can parallel init script startup be made the default yet? I've been
> > running with it for months and never noticed a problem..
>
> I've been running it for more than a year on half a dozen boxes, without
> any issues as well.
>
> +1 for making it the default.

-1 from me (at least with <0.5.3, I'm following openrc Gentoo releases
closely)
*Very* occasionally, bud deadlocks used to happen here. I'll report it for
0.5.3 if I run into this again.

--
regards
MM

Old 12-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Christian Bricart

Joshua Saddler schrieb:
> On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 02:44:47 +0000
> Sylvain Alain <d2_racing@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone, I think that the best should be to release a migration guide
>> just before the official release and also a news on the first page of
>> Gentoo.org
>
> You really should have checked our doc repo before sending your mail:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
>
> I, Cardoe, and Uberlord wrote it back in April 2008[1].
>
> [1] http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo/xml/htdocs/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

mentioning possible migration issues and pointing at the docs above:

(AFAIK the only) documentation handling networking migration states:

+--
| Also, /etc/conf.d/net no longer uses bash-style arrays for
| configuration.
| Please review /usr/share/doc/openrc-<version>/net.example
| for configuration instructions. Conversion should be relatively
| straight-forward, for example a static IP assignment would change
| as follows:
+--
(and no - more complex examples are *not* described
in /u/s/d/o/net.example as stated..)

Apart from that, the newnet file will be /etc/conf.d/network ..

Regarding USE=-oldnet migrations, that are actually *using* oldnet Bash
arrays within /etc/conf.d/net (like me) are left alone and not even
Funtoo has a porting guide..

my $0.02
Christian