Old 11-15-2009, 03:37 AM
Doug Goldstein

Default GLEP 27 Bump

GLEP 27 [1] seems pretty stagnant and I'm planning on giving it a bit
of a refresh and actually implementing it. Now before I do this I'm
not in love with the format in tree but I haven't decided on a format
exactly in my head. So that being said, I'm sending this out looking
for some opinions or ideas for my new GLEP. One of the obvious things
I'll cover is all the ambiguity of the GLEP with regard to the data
inside each of the files.

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0027.html

--
Doug Goldstein

Old 11-15-2009, 06:25 AM
Petteri Räty

Doug Goldstein wrote:
> GLEP 27 [1] seems pretty stagnant and I'm planning on giving it a bit
> of a refresh and actually implementing it. Now before I do this I'm
> not in love with the format in tree but I haven't decided on a format
> exactly in my head. So that being said, I'm sending this out looking
> for some opinions or ideas for my new GLEP. One of the obvious things
> I'll cover is all the ambiguity of the GLEP with regard to the data
> inside each of the files.
>
> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0027.html

One idea worth considering is making users just ebuilds with a
supporting eclass.

Regards,
Petteri

Old 11-16-2009, 12:35 AM
"Robin H. Johnson"

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 09:25:45AM +0200, Petteri Räty wrote:
> Doug Goldstein wrote:
> > GLEP 27 [1] seems pretty stagnant and I'm planning on giving it a bit
> > of a refresh and actually implementing it. Now before I do this I'm
> > not in love with the format in tree but I haven't decided on a format
> > exactly in my head. So that being said, I'm sending this out looking
> > for some opinions or ideas for my new GLEP. One of the obvious things
> > I'll cover is all the ambiguity of the GLEP with regard to the data
> > inside each of the files.
> >
> > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0027.html
> One idea worth considering is making users just ebuilds with a
> supporting eclass.
While I'm hugely in favour of having consistent UID/GIDs with no
conflicts over all Gentoo machines, I feel one of the reasons that the
GLEP failed was that users required by ebuilds changed over ebuild
versions, and the GLEP didn't seem to handle that well.

Cases I've seen in the tree:
- username change (slocate -> locate)
- homedir change
- shell change

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : robbat2@gentoo.org

Old 11-16-2009, 03:50 AM
Doug Goldstein

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 09:25:45AM +0200, Petteri Räty wrote:
>> Doug Goldstein wrote:
>> > GLEP 27 [1] seems pretty stagnant and I'm planning on giving it a bit
>> > of a refresh and actually implementing it. Now before I do this I'm
>> > not in love with the format in tree but I haven't decided on a format
>> > exactly in my head. So that being said, I'm sending this out looking
>> > for some opinions or ideas for my new GLEP. One of the obvious things
>> > I'll cover is all the ambiguity of the GLEP with regard to the data
>> > inside each of the files.
>> >
>> > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0027.html
>> One idea worth considering is making users just ebuilds with a
>> supporting eclass.
> While I'm hugely in favour of having consistent UID/GIDs with no
> conflicts over all Gentoo machines, I feel one of the reasons that the
> GLEP failed was that users required by ebuilds changed over ebuild
> versions, and the GLEP didn't seem to handle that well.
>
> Cases I've seen in the tree:
> - username change (slocate -> locate)
> - homedir change
> - shell change

Which would seem to mean that Petteri's suggestion would work better
since that would allow us to version/upgrade user/group data.

--
Doug Goldstein