Old 11-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Daniel Drake

Default About udev-145: new features / extras and kernel requirements

Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
Up to now I have just added use-flag "extras" to control these. But I suppose
that udev-acl and maybe gudev is a hard requirement for newer hal or
devicekit versions. And upstream thinks these should be enabled by default.

I've been playing with Fedora lately and they split it in 3: udev,
libudev, libgudev.

You will find that some apps will start requiring libgudev
unconditionally. For example, the upcoming NetworkManager 0.8.

Daniel

Old 11-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Matthias Schwarzott

On Montag, 9. November 2009, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-08-30 at 16:11 +0200, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
> > Hi there!
>
> A late hello,
>
> > Second point: udev-145 bundles a lot of new extras, but they can only be
> > enabled/disabled all or nothing.
> >
> > These extras are:
> > * udev-acl: Apply consolekit permissions to devices for users (audio,
> > video, joysticks, scanner, cameras, ...)
> > * usb-db: Provide udev-rules with device names of pci and usb devices
> > * hid2hci: Special utility to fix resume of some hid devices
> > * keymap: Auto-configure model specific keys found on many laptops
> > ("brightness up", "next song", "www browser", or "suspend")
> > * modem-modeswitch: Switch modems that provide virtual cd-drive with
> > drivers to modem mode
>
> I think the thread hasn't seen an answer to the question of when these
> are actually used or useful, as asked in another subthread as well.
>
> > * gudev: glib/gobject support for libudev
>
> Would it be possible to have this in a separate package? Of course then
> with a temporary compatibility PDEPEND on it with udev[extras] until
> packages needing gudev migrate over.

The question is: DO we really need to split udev that upstream bundled into
one tarball?

> And what of the above listed other things besides core udev does gudev
> require or potentially use?

To be answered by someone else, I do not need these yet.

Matthias