Old 11-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Mart Raudsepp

Default About udev-145: new features / extras and kernel requirements

On Sun, 2009-08-30 at 16:11 +0200, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
> Hi there!

A late hello,

> Second point: udev-145 bundles a lot of new extras, but they can only be
> enabled/disabled all or nothing.
>
> These extras are:
> * udev-acl: Apply consolekit permissions to devices for users (audio, video,
> joysticks, scanner, cameras, ...)
> * usb-db: Provide udev-rules with device names of pci and usb devices
> * hid2hci: Special utility to fix resume of some hid devices
> * keymap: Auto-configure model specific keys found on many laptops
> ("brightness up", "next song", "www browser", or "suspend")
> * modem-modeswitch: Switch modems that provide virtual cd-drive with drivers
> to modem mode

I think the thread hasn't seen an answer to the question of when these
are actually used or useful, as asked in another subthread as well.

> * gudev: glib/gobject support for libudev

Would it be possible to have this in a separate package? Of course then
with a temporary compatibility PDEPEND on it with udev[extras] until
packages needing gudev migrate over.
And what of the above listed other things besides core udev does gudev
require or potentially use?

> This makes udev depend on these libs:
> libacl, libglib2, libusb, usbutils, pciutils, gperf
>
> Up to now I have just added use-flag "extras" to control these. But I suppose
> that udev-acl and maybe gudev is a hard requirement for newer hal or
> devicekit versions. And upstream thinks these should be enabled by default.
>
> Are any of these extras considered harmful?

On some non-desktop systems perhaps, yes.

--
Mart Raudsepp
Gentoo Developer