Old 11-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Samuli Suominen

Default RFC: Enable USE="cxx" in base/make.defaults ?

$subject

but disable it in profiles/uclibc/make.defaults, since AFAIK, uclibc
doesn't have libstdc++

because every ebuild adding USE="cxx" is doing EAPI="2" now, and having
it in profiles by default, would allow also EAPI="0" toolchain and
system ebuilds to stop using nocxx.

did I miss something?

Old 11-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Monday 09 November 2009 05:37:49 Samuli Suominen wrote:
> $subject

sounds good to me

> but disable it in profiles/uclibc/make.defaults, since AFAIK, uclibc
> doesn't have libstdc++

erm, no, that isnt correct at all. libstdc++ comes from gcc, not the C
library. and there is little in the C library that gcc needs for functioning
C++ support.

ignoring that, it should be disabled by default in the uClibc profiles

> because every ebuild adding USE="cxx" is doing EAPI="2" now, and having
> it in profiles by default, would allow also EAPI="0" toolchain and
> system ebuilds to stop using nocxx.
>
> did I miss something?

be good to finally convert nocxx ... but that's a different topic ...
-mike

Old 11-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Samuli Suominen

Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 09 November 2009 05:37:49 Samuli Suominen wrote:
>> $subject
>
> sounds good to me
>
>> but disable it in profiles/uclibc/make.defaults, since AFAIK, uclibc
>> doesn't have libstdc++
>
> erm, no, that isnt correct at all. libstdc++ comes from gcc, not the C
> library. and there is little in the C library that gcc needs for functioning
> C++ support.

ah yes, of course...

as I've never used embedded / uclibc myself, i'm a bit confused about
the function for uClibc++ package then, but that's a different story.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Monday 09 November 2009 15:12:03 Samuli Suominen wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Monday 09 November 2009 05:37:49 Samuli Suominen wrote:
> >> but disable it in profiles/uclibc/make.defaults, since AFAIK, uclibc
> >> doesn't have libstdc++
> >
> > erm, no, that isnt correct at all. libstdc++ comes from gcc, not the C
> > library. and there is little in the C library that gcc needs for
> > functioning C++ support.
>
> ah yes, of course...
>
> as I've never used embedded / uclibc myself, i'm a bit confused about
> the function for uClibc++ package then, but that's a different story.

it's purely a matter of riding the uClibc name's coat tails. uClibc++ is a
mini replacement for libstdc++, but it and uClibc have no direct dependencies
on each other.
-mike

Old 11-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 22:12:03 +0200
Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org> wrote:
> as I've never used embedded / uclibc myself, i'm a bit confused about
> the function for uClibc++ package then, but that's a different
> story.

uClibc++ is a broken C++ standard library implementation that
introduces security holes into standard-compliant C++ applications.
It's not something you should be using except for packages specifically
designed for it, and it's not particularly related to uclibc.

--
Ciaran McCreesh