Old 11-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Sébastien Fabbro

Default redistribute intel rpms

Hi,

We have a few fetch restricted Intel packages in the main tree (icc,
ifc, mkl, ipp, tbb). All except tbb are closed-source but free with
non-commercial licenses. Lately upstream has repackaged the icc and
ifort (ifc) as a big tar blob containing all of them, but also release
some of them separately. For various reasons we would like to keep
separate ebuilds. The problem is the separate packages have common
libraries, causing duplication and file collisions. So the idea was to
download the tar blob which contain a few binary rpms and base new
ebuilds on these rpms. This means we will have to re-distribute the
rpms on our mirrors. I can't understand from the many licenses if we
are allowed to do it, it surprisingly looks like we can do it.

Anyone with better understanding of the licences could help? Upstream
does not answer.

--
Sebastien

Old 11-06-2009, 11:28 PM
"Robin H. Johnson"

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 04:04:41PM -0800, Sébastien Fabbro wrote:
> We have a few fetch restricted Intel packages in the main tree (icc,
> ifc, mkl, ipp, tbb). All except tbb are closed-source but free with
> non-commercial licenses. Lately upstream has repackaged the icc and
> ifort (ifc) as a big tar blob containing all of them, but also release
> some of them separately. For various reasons we would like to keep
> separate ebuilds. The problem is the separate packages have common
> libraries, causing duplication and file collisions. So the idea was to
> download the tar blob which contain a few binary rpms and base new
> ebuilds on these rpms. This means we will have to re-distribute the
> rpms on our mirrors. I can't understand from the many licenses if we
> are allowed to do it, it surprisingly looks like we can do it.
>
> Anyone with better understanding of the licences could help? Upstream
> does not answer.
Can you list the license files please? I'll poke at them after that.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : robbat2@gentoo.org

Old 11-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Sébastien Fabbro

On Saturday 07 November, Robin H. Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 04:04:41PM -0800, Sébastien Fabbro wrote:
> > We have a few fetch restricted Intel packages in the main tree (icc,
> > ifc, mkl, ipp, tbb). All except tbb are closed-source but free with
> > non-commercial licenses. Lately upstream has repackaged the icc and
> > ifort (ifc) as a big tar blob containing all of them, but also
> > release some of them separately. For various reasons we would like
> > to keep separate ebuilds. The problem is the separate packages have
> > common libraries, causing duplication and file collisions. So the
> > idea was to download the tar blob which contain a few binary rpms
> > and base new ebuilds on these rpms. This means we will have to
> > re-distribute the rpms on our mirrors. I can't understand from the
> > many licenses if we are allowed to do it, it surprisingly looks
> > like we can do it.
> >
> > Anyone with better understanding of the licences could help?
> > Upstream does not answer.
> Can you list the license files please? I'll poke at them after that.

The one in the tree (Intel-SDP) has slightly changed. New one:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-software-development-products-license-agreement/

--
Sebastien