Old 11-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Richard Freeman

Default Improve policy of stabilizations

Mart Raudsepp wrote:

Is it stated in any documentation that 30 days is a policy?

Not that I'm aware of - it is a guideline as you indicate. However,
don't expect anybody to actually take action on a STABLEREQ if there
isn't some kind of rationale for going stable so quickly.

The whole point of stable is that they provide some sanity to the
release process - if upstream releases a new version every other week
then perhaps we should either:

1. Question whether it should go stable at all.
2. Pick a version once in a while and target it for stabilization,
backporting fixes as needed.

We don't need to be Debian stable, but if the only reason for
stabilizing a package is that upstream has already moved on, then I
think we're making a mistake. In fact, if upstream abandoned a release
after only two weeks that would be a good reason NOT to stabilize it.

End users can always run ~arch if they need to - at least this way they
know in advance what they're getting into.