-   -   emerge world taking excessive CPU/real time (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/272313-emerge-world-taking-excessive-cpu-real-time.html)

Robert Bradbury 10-31-2009 01:13 PM

emerge world taking excessive CPU/real time

I commonly run:
* emerge --pretend --update --verbose --deep --newuse world
at least once every day to provide a list of recently updated packages that I need to re-emerge.

I've noticed recently (in the last 1-2 weeks) that it seems to be taking a very long time.* The one I've got running now has on the order of 8+ CPU minutes which seems very long.* I think this used to take <2 minutes.

I've also noticed some chatter on the gentoo-dev list about including package dates in the portage database.

Has anyone else encountered this problem or have any ideas about the possible cause?* Could it be python version related?

Versions are: portage-2.1.7.1 and Python 2.6.3 (r263:75183, Oct* 3 2009, 02:52:55).

Thanks,
Robert

Zac Medico 10-31-2009 06:36 PM

Robert Bradbury wrote:
> I commonly run:
> emerge --pretend --update --verbose --deep --newuse world
> at least once every day to provide a list of recently updated packages
> that I need to re-emerge.
>
> I've noticed recently (in the last 1-2 weeks) that it seems to be taking
> a very long time. The one I've got running now has on the order of 8+
> CPU minutes which seems very long. I think this used to take <2 minutes.

Maybe it's backtracking for some reason. If that's the case, should
see some related messages about backtracking. Please file a bug at
http://bugs.gentoo.org and include --pretend --debug output for the
long-running dependency calculation.

> I've also noticed some chatter on the gentoo-dev list about including
> package dates in the portage database.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this problem or have any ideas about the
> possible cause? Could it be python version related?

I haven't seen any other reports like this. I doubt that the python
version is related.

--
Thanks,
Zac

Zac Medico 10-31-2009 11:32 PM

Zac Medico wrote:
> Robert Bradbury wrote:
>> I commonly run:
>> emerge --pretend --update --verbose --deep --newuse world
>> at least once every day to provide a list of recently updated packages
>> that I need to re-emerge.
>>
>> I've noticed recently (in the last 1-2 weeks) that it seems to be taking
>> a very long time. The one I've got running now has on the order of 8+
>> CPU minutes which seems very long. I think this used to take <2 minutes.
>
> Maybe it's backtracking for some reason. If that's the case, should
> see some related messages about backtracking.

In portage-2.1.7.3 the maximum backtrack count has been reduced from
30 to 5, and there's also a new --backtrack=COUNT option that you
can use to control it.
--
Thanks,
Zac