Old 10-28-2009, 01:31 AM
Mike Frysinger

Default Unused ebuild built_with_use cleanup

On Tuesday 27 October 2009 14:46:31 Petteri Räty wrote:
> Normally old versions are not kept around as already said if you read
> the thread.

"normal" is not the same thing as "always". unless you're the maintainer, you
have no idea whether old versions are kept there on purpose. ive had people
delete older versions of packages on me simply because they made this invalid
assumption without talking to the maintainer. the rest of the thread is
irrelevant as this point was not made.

a quick check of your list shows wine/uclibc shouldnt be blindly culled.

> Live ebuilds shouldn't really have been in the original list
> with my intended logic. For them I will usually just migrate them to
> EAPI 2 like with other packages we have been touching.

OK

> Using a tracker bug makes sense if you expect some action from individual
> maintainers which is not the case here as they can just leave the job to
> people nuking built_with_use like me.

i dont plan on fixing my ebuilds soonish since this isnt a terribly important
issue, but they'll get fixed at some point
-mike

Old 10-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Petteri Räty

Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 October 2009 14:46:31 Petteri Räty wrote:
>> Normally old versions are not kept around as already said if you read
>> the thread.
>
> "normal" is not the same thing as "always". unless you're the maintainer, you
> have no idea whether old versions are kept there on purpose. ive had people
> delete older versions of packages on me simply because they made this invalid
> assumption without talking to the maintainer. the rest of the thread is
> irrelevant as this point was not made.

Yes I have no idea. That's why I asked on gentoo-dev-announce for
maintainers to tell me if they are kept on purpose so the point was made
already at the very start.

Regards,
Petteri

Old 10-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Alexis Ballier

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:51:34 +0200
Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Tuesday 27 October 2009 14:46:31 Petteri Räty wrote:
> >> Normally old versions are not kept around as already said if you
> >> read the thread.
> >
> > "normal" is not the same thing as "always". unless you're the
> > maintainer, you have no idea whether old versions are kept there on
> > purpose. ive had people delete older versions of packages on me
> > simply because they made this invalid assumption without talking to
> > the maintainer. the rest of the thread is irrelevant as this point
> > was not made.
> >

> Yes I have no idea. That's why I asked on gentoo-dev-announce for
> maintainers to tell me if they are kept on purpose so the point was
> made already at the very start.

Still, it has already been stated but: please file bugs! A big tracker
would probably be messy, one bug / herd or category could be better.
You did file some bugs at some point, where I was in the assigned herd
and did proceed quickly I think. Why did you stop? Some were just
straight removal, some did need some other removal in order to be clean
(this may be due to the fact that packages didnt work with latest
versions but didn't have restricted deps on the package that would have
to be removed).

I am not following -dev very carefully and am too lazy to dig in a list
posted on -dev-announce to find out if I need to do something or not. A
bug makes that easy to track and is the usual way of getting ebuild
changes done in the tree. We rant on users who report bugs on -dev, I'm
afraid the the same applies to developers

Also, remark that your script is flawed, I see some freebsd stuff in
your list which are certainly the best visible version on some
profiles. Again, this will be better tracked in a bug.

Alexis.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:29 AM
Doug Goldstein

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 4:51 AM, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> On Tuesday 27 October 2009 14:46:31 Petteri Räty wrote:
>>> Normally old versions are not kept around as already said if you read
>>> the thread.
>>
>> "normal" is not the same thing as "always". *unless you're the maintainer, you
>> have no idea whether old versions are kept there on purpose. *ive had people
>> delete older versions of packages on me simply because they made this invalid
>> assumption without talking to the maintainer. *the rest of the thread is
>> irrelevant as this point was not made.
>>

> Yes I have no idea. That's why I asked on gentoo-dev-announce for
> maintainers to tell me if they are kept on purpose so the point was made
> already at the very start.
>
> Regards,
> Petteri

I see several of my packages on there as well and there's absolutely
no way you're culling them since they have a definite use since you're
script clearly failed to take into consideration various profiles and
SLOTs. Biggest reason that my packages still use built_with_use is the
lack of the --missing option for EAPI=2.

--
Doug Goldstein