-   -   updating baselayout PERMS_PROTECT (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/268196-updating-baselayout-perms_protect.html)

Caleb Cushing 03-23-2009 02:53 AM

updating baselayout PERMS_PROTECT

so from what I can see there doesn't appear to be any 'official' way
of adding new directories, updating perms and the like in baselayout.

my thought is someone who does an emerge -aveD world's system should
for the most part be reset to 'factory' defaults.

of course this leads to the problem... what if the 'admin' explicitly
changed the permissions... Maybe we should have something like
PERMS_PROTECT (similar to config_protect). where portage won't update
the permissions if file/directory is protected.
--
Caleb Cushing

http://xenoterracide.blogspot.com

Ciaran McCreesh 03-23-2009 01:25 PM

updating baselayout PERMS_PROTECT

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 23:53:23 -0400
Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@gmail.com> wrote:
> of course this leads to the problem... what if the 'admin' explicitly
> changed the permissions... Maybe we should have something like
> PERMS_PROTECT (similar to config_protect). where portage won't update
> the permissions if file/directory is protected.

The package manager shouldn't be messing with permissions on existing
directories at all (directories are a shared resource). If you want to
change permissions on an existing directory, do it in pkg_preinst.

--
Ciaran McCreesh