Old 03-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Dawid Węgliński

Default RFC: Deprecating EAPI0

On Saturday 21 of March 2009 21:53:16 Patrick Lauer wrote:
> On Saturday 21 March 2009 21:21:47 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:37:12 +0100
> >
> > Patrick Lauer <patrick@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > > To make our lives easier I would suggest deprecating EAPI0 and
> > > migrating existing ebuilds over some time to EAPI1 or higher until
> > > EAPI0 can be obsoleted at some point in the future.
> >
> > Uh. Why?
>
> Because, as you have noticed before, developers get confused which eapi has
> which features available. And eapi1 is a superset of eapi0, so we don't
> have to rewrite tons of things.

Spend more time to teach them. It's easier to developers make sure they do
things ok than users spending their time to figure out what's wrong.

Personally i don't like the idea of deprecating EAPI0 since it may break many
servers. Eg. our border router at work isn't upgraded regulary. I spent much
time lately to upgrade it with problems like portage vs. bash and so.

So the last thing i'd like to see now in portage is implementing your
proposal.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Luca Barbato

Patrick Lauer wrote:
[deprecating stuff]

I'd rather switch to git first, have eapi in separate branches then,
make sure we can provide eapi-N compatibility/migration tree snapshots

and then warn people so there will be a easy way to provide fallbacks.

Before that I'm afraid it would take too much.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo Council Member

Old 03-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:40:05 +0100
Luca Barbato <lu_zero@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I'd rather switch to git first, have eapi in separate branches then,
> make sure we can provide eapi-N compatibility/migration tree snapshots
> and then warn people so there will be a easy way to provide fallbacks.

Uhm. Do you think these ideas of yours through at all before posting
them?

Either you think the entire tree should be switched to a new EAPI in
one go, in which case how on earth is that going to get done, or you
don't, in which case there's no point to branches, and any migration
can be done using a simple tag.

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 03-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Luca Barbato

Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

Uhm. Do you think these ideas of yours through at all before posting
them?

Being rude doesn't make you cool. (Nor make your points more effective)

Either you think the entire tree should be switched to a new EAPI in
one go, in which case how on earth is that going to get done, or you
don't, in which case there's no point to branches, and any migration
can be done using a simple tag.

I'd like you to rethink your statement and then come again.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo Council Member

Old 03-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:19:12 +0100
Luca Barbato <lu_zero@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > Uhm. Do you think these ideas of yours through at all before posting
> > them?
>
> Being rude doesn't make you cool. (Nor make your points more
> effective)

That's not being rude. It's an attempt to bring your attention to the
fact that other people read what you right, so you're doing them a
discourtesy by wasting their time by repeatedly posting ideas you
haven't thought through and that aren't even remotely workable.

> > Either you think the entire tree should be switched to a new EAPI in
> > one go, in which case how on earth is that going to get done, or you
> > don't, in which case there's no point to branches, and any migration
> > can be done using a simple tag.
>
> I'd like you to rethink your statement and then come again.

We've been over this before. The whole point of EAPI is that it avoids
the need for mass tree changes.

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 03-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Maciej Mrozowski

On Wednesday 25 of March 2009 15:19:36 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> > Being rude doesn't make you cool. (Nor make your points more
> > effective)
>
> That's not being rude.
[...]
(no comment)

> so you're doing them a
> discourtesy by wasting their time by repeatedly posting ideas you
> haven't thought through
[...]
Considering average post count and Gentoo membership on that list, I'm pretty
convinced you're not entitled to decide who is wasting developers' time.

--
regards
MM

Old 03-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:06:47 +0100
Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@poczta.fm> wrote:
> Considering average post count and Gentoo membership on that list,
> I'm pretty convinced you're not entitled to decide who is wasting
> developers' time.

When you've gained enough experience and knowledge to be able to
evaluate the merits of proposals, I invite you to rethink those
comments and deliver your apology.

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 03-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Alec Warner

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
<ciaran.mccreesh@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:06:47 +0100
> Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@poczta.fm> wrote:
>> Considering average post count and Gentoo membership on that list,
>> I'm pretty convinced you're not entitled to decide who is wasting
>> developers' time.
>
> When you've gained enough experience and knowledge to be able to
> evaluate the merits of proposals, I invite you to rethink those
> comments and deliver your apology.

Please feel free to continue this conversation off list (both sides).
If you want to call people rude farts, do it on your own time, not on
my list.

-A