Old 03-22-2009, 05:14 AM
Nirbheek Chauhan

Default perforce client proper license

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 2:58 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I think you will encounter namespace collisions, thats why I CC'd zac
> as he maintains mirror-dist ;p

Why the hell didn't we think of this before!?

The mirror-dist script *cannot* rename the upstream files for storage,
since emerge will be looking for the *original* filename on the gentoo
mirror. And if we keep them the same, we'll have collisions on the
mirror, which is more probable (and severe) than a collision on a
user's local DISTDIR.

The easiest solution I can think of is for emerge to give special
consideration to the mirrors in GENTOO_MIRRORS, and look for the
renamed file there instead of the original ones.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan who is extremely bewildered by this oversight

Old 03-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Robert Buchholz

On Sunday 22 March 2009, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 2:58 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@gentoo.org>
wrote:
> > I think you will encounter namespace collisions, thats why I CC'd
> > zac as he maintains mirror-dist ;p
>
> Why the hell didn't we think of this before!?
>
> The mirror-dist script *cannot* rename the upstream files for
> storage, since emerge will be looking for the *original* filename on
> the gentoo mirror. And if we keep them the same, we'll have
> collisions on the mirror, which is more probable (and severe) than a
> collision on a user's local DISTDIR.
>
> The easiest solution I can think of is for emerge to give special
> consideration to the mirrors in GENTOO_MIRRORS, and look for the
> renamed file there instead of the original ones.

No reason to panic. :-)
This is what Portage already does and what is specified in EAPI=2.
Refer to the paragraph quoted by Ciaran earlier in this thread.

Do we have a reason to believe our mirror scripts do not already handle
this correctly? Because to me it seems they do.

$ ebuild bashburn-3.0.ebuild unpack
Downloading 'http://ftp.spline.inf.fu-berlin.de/mirrors/gentoo/distfiles/BashBurn-3.0.tar.gz'
--2009-03-22 15:48:57--
http://ftp.spline.inf.fu-berlin.de/mirrors/gentoo/distfiles/BashBurn-3.0.tar.gz
Resolving ftp.spline.inf.fu-berlin.de... 130.133.110.66
Connecting to ftp.spline.inf.fu-berlin.de|130.133.110.66|:80...
connected.
Length: 84435 (82K) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `/usr/portage/distfiles/BashBurn-3.0.tar.gz'

$ G
ENTOO_MIRRORS="" ebuild bashburn-3.0.ebuild unpack
Downloading 'http://bashburn.dose.se/index.php?s=file_download&id=3'
--2009-03-22 15:49:12--
http://bashburn.dose.se/index.php?s=file_download&id=3
Resolving bashburn.dose.se... 90.227.105.216
Connecting to bashburn.dose.se|90.227.105.216|:80... connected.
Length: unspecified [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `/usr/portage/distfiles/BashBurn-3.0.tar.gz'

Robert

Old 03-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:44:48 +0530
Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 2:58 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
> > I think you will encounter namespace collisions, thats why I CC'd
> > zac as he maintains mirror-dist ;p
>
> Why the hell didn't we think of this before!?

Uhm. We did. PMS is worded very carefully to ensure that this all
works. The only question is whether Portage's mirroring scripts are
broken. Alec seems to think they are; I'm sceptical, because a) I
pestered Zac about the issue really early on, and b) I strongly suspect
we'd've seen the breakage by now if they were.

> The easiest solution I can think of is for emerge to give special
> consideration to the mirrors in GENTOO_MIRRORS, and look for the
> renamed file there instead of the original ones.

I quote:

In EAPIs supporting arrows, if an arrow is used, the filename used when
saving to {DISTDIR} shall instead be the name on the right of the
arrow. When consulting mirrors (except for those explicitly listed on
the left of the arrow, if {mirror://} is used), the filename to the
right of the arrow shall be requested instead of the filename in the
URI.

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 03-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
<ciaran.mccreesh@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I quote:
>
> In EAPIs supporting arrows, if an arrow is used, the filename used when
> saving to {DISTDIR} shall instead be the name on the right of the
> arrow. When consulting mirrors (except for those explicitly listed on
> the left of the arrow, if {mirror://} is used), the filename to the
> right of the arrow shall be requested instead of the filename in the
> URI.

Right, thanks for clearing that up

/me heaves a sigh of relief

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Old 03-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Markos Chandras

On Saturday 21 March 2009 14:06:09 Markos Chandras wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> Qt-creator[1] program can support perforce[2] software configuration
> manager. My concern is the perforce license. According to their site[3]
> there is a dual(?) license.
> There is the standard commercial license[4] and one for free software
> development[4]. Should I add both? Or am I missing something?
> Doing some research I found out that perforce-cli was in the portage back
> in 2006 but not anymore. Can somebody recall the reason why it is not there
> anymore? If it wasn't a license issue , I want to bring it back ( at least
> the client for now ).
> I am waiting your suggestions. Thank you
>
> [1] http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/dev-util/qt-creator/
> [2] http://www.perforce.com/perforce/
> [3] http://www.perforce.com/perforce/price.html#license
> [4] http://www.perforce.com/perforce/price.html#opensource

Responding to my self, i decided not to bring this package on tree and
instead use an ewarn message to inform user that if he wants perforce support,
he needs to download the binary by himself. Thats not a big deal since the
binary doesnt even require installation or anything else.
--
Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
Gentoo Linux Developer

Old 03-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Alec Warner

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Ciaran McCreesh
<ciaran.mccreesh@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:44:48 +0530
> Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 2:58 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@gentoo.org>
>> wrote:
>> > I think you will encounter namespace collisions, thats why I CC'd
>> > zac as he maintains mirror-dist ;p
>>
>> Why the hell didn't we think of this before!?
>
> Uhm. We did. PMS is worded very carefully to ensure that this all
> works. The only question is whether Portage's mirroring scripts are
> broken. Alec seems to think they are; I'm sceptical, because a) I
> pestered Zac about the issue really early on, and b) I strongly suspect
> we'd've seen the breakage by now if they were.

I said I doubted they were and to ask the maintainer:

00:45 < antarus> zmedico: do the mirroring scripts do src_uri arrows properly?
00:46 < zmedico> antarus: yes
00:46 < antarus> ok super

Thread Over