FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-16-2009, 02:45 AM
Caleb Cushing
 
Default timezone and other moving rc variables.

* You have an invalid TIMEZONE setting in /etc/timezone
* Your /etc/localtime has been reset to Factory; enjoy!
* Updating /etc/localtime with /usr/share/zoneinfo/Factory

cat /etc/timezone
TIMEZONE="EST5EDT"

I can't figure out what this file wants. I've tried several settings
and I don't seem to be able to get it right. (maybe a bug?)

so maybe timezone-data should install the file with a default, and
some examples. because updating documentation is always a good thing.
It's getting hard to keep track of where things are moving to.

like where I'm supposed to set things like EDITOR, and XSESSION with
openrc moving everything around, could we please put these things in
one place? /etc/env.d or /etc/conf.d? also could all the necessary
files be created for us? I think this should apply to
/etc/env.d/02locale as well. I don't see why this isn't created with
some comments by default.
--
Caleb Cushing

http://xenoterracide.blogspot.com
 
Old 03-16-2009, 02:56 AM
Daniel Verkamp
 
Default timezone and other moving rc variables.

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@gmail.com> wrote:
> ** You have an invalid TIMEZONE setting in /etc/timezone
> ** Your /etc/localtime has been reset to Factory; enjoy!
> ** Updating /etc/localtime with /usr/share/zoneinfo/Factory
>
> cat /etc/timezone
> TIMEZONE="EST5EDT"

I believe the entire file contents should be "EST5EDT" sans quotes; I
don't know if this is documented anywhere... the only entry for 'man
timezone' is for the function in time.h.

>
> I can't figure out what this file wants. I've tried several settings
> and I don't seem to be able to get it right. (maybe a bug?)
>
> so maybe timezone-data should install the file with a default, and
> some examples. because updating documentation is always a good thing.
> It's getting hard to keep track of where things are moving to.
>
> like where I'm supposed to set things like EDITOR, and XSESSION with
> openrc moving everything around, could we please put these things in
> one place? /etc/env.d or /etc/conf.d? also could all the necessary
> files be created for us? I think this should apply to
> /etc/env.d/02locale as well. I don't see why this isn't created with
> some comments by default.
> --
> Caleb Cushing
>

Thanks,
-- Daniel Verkamp
 
Old 03-16-2009, 05:46 AM
Ben de Groot
 
Default timezone and other moving rc variables.

Daniel Verkamp wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@gmail.com> wrote:
>> * You have an invalid TIMEZONE setting in /etc/timezone
>> * Your /etc/localtime has been reset to Factory; enjoy!
>> * Updating /etc/localtime with /usr/share/zoneinfo/Factory
>>
>> cat /etc/timezone
>> TIMEZONE="EST5EDT"
>
> I believe the entire file contents should be "EST5EDT" sans quotes; I
> don't know if this is documented anywhere... the only entry for 'man
> timezone' is for the function in time.h.
>

As per http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml under the
"Clock" heading. I know, reading documentation is an acquired taste... ;-)

--
Ben de Groot
Gentoo Linux developer (lxde, media, qt, desktop-misc)
Gentoo Linux Release Engineering PR liaison
__________________________________________________ ____
 
Old 03-17-2009, 12:18 AM
Caleb Cushing
 
Default timezone and other moving rc variables.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 2:46 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@gentoo.org> wrote:
> As per http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml under the
> "Clock" heading. I know, reading documentation is an acquired taste... ;-)

I've never seen this documentation before, didn't know it existed.
maybe things like the timezone-data ebuild could refer to it in the
'info' message (the kernel used to do this with the kernel migration
guide)

--
Caleb Cushing

http://xenoterracide.blogspot.com
 
Old 03-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default timezone and other moving rc variables.

On Monday 16 March 2009 21:18:16 Caleb Cushing wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 2:46 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > As per http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml under the
> > "Clock" heading. I know, reading documentation is an acquired taste...
> > ;-)
>
> I've never seen this documentation before, didn't know it existed.
> maybe things like the timezone-data ebuild could refer to it in the
> 'info' message (the kernel used to do this with the kernel migration
> guide)

openrc spams it every time you upgrade. i can tweak the timezone-data ebuild
as well though.
-mike
 
Old 03-18-2009, 03:37 AM
Donnie Berkholz
 
Default timezone and other moving rc variables.

On 23:45 Sun 15 Mar , Caleb Cushing wrote:
> * You have an invalid TIMEZONE setting in /etc/timezone
> * Your /etc/localtime has been reset to Factory; enjoy!
> * Updating /etc/localtime with /usr/share/zoneinfo/Factory
>
> cat /etc/timezone
> TIMEZONE="EST5EDT"
>
> I can't figure out what this file wants. I've tried several settings
> and I don't seem to be able to get it right. (maybe a bug?)
>
> so maybe timezone-data should install the file with a default, and
> some examples. because updating documentation is always a good thing.
> It's getting hard to keep track of where things are moving to.
>
> like where I'm supposed to set things like EDITOR, and XSESSION with
> openrc moving everything around, could we please put these things in
> one place? /etc/env.d or /etc/conf.d? also could all the necessary
> files be created for us? I think this should apply to
> /etc/env.d/02locale as well. I don't see why this isn't created with
> some comments by default.

Because env.d isn't under CONFIG_PROTECT so your modifications to any
package-installed file are overwritten on every update.

--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donnie Berkholz
Developer, Gentoo Linux
Blog: http://dberkholz.wordpress.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:30 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org