Old 03-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Thomas Anderson

Default devs on IRC (was :Regen2 ( was QA Overlay Layout support ))

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 03:37:28PM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Thilo Bangert <bangert@gentoo.org> posted
> 200903101315.52142.bangert@gentoo.org, excerpted below, on Tue, 10 Mar
> 2009 13:15:36 +0100:
>
> > the presumption seems to be, that as a dev one has to be available via
> > IRC. it has long been my feeling that Gentoo as a project could realize
> > more of its potential by better integrating people who dont do IRC.
>
> This has bothered me too. Some people simply don't do well in
> "immediate" (textual) communication mode. They much prefer the minute-
> resolution mode of email/web-form/newsgroup to the second-resolution mode
> of IRC/IM. I'm one such person.[1] As a result, I have experienced a
> high barrier to getting further involved with Gentoo, toward becoming an
> AT or dev.

There are many devs who rarely venture on IRC, yet do a lot of good
work. As far as ATs go, it's not a necessity to be on IRC; pretty much
the only communication that occurs in #-amd64-dev is coordination of
stabilization efforts and goofing off(and the occasional xfce dev talks
).
--
---------
Thomas Anderson

Old 03-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Donnie Berkholz

On 15:37 Fri 13 Mar , Duncan wrote:
> Thilo Bangert <bangert@gentoo.org> posted
> 200903101315.52142.bangert@gentoo.org, excerpted below, on Tue, 10 Mar
> 2009 13:15:36 +0100:
>
> > the presumption seems to be, that as a dev one has to be available via
> > IRC. it has long been my feeling that Gentoo as a project could realize
> > more of its potential by better integrating people who dont do IRC.
>
> This has bothered me too. Some people simply don't do well in
> "immediate" (textual) communication mode. They much prefer the minute-
> resolution mode of email/web-form/newsgroup to the second-resolution mode
> of IRC/IM. I'm one such person.[1] As a result, I have experienced a
> high barrier to getting further involved with Gentoo, toward becoming an
> AT or dev.

One nice thing about IRC is that people get equal talking time. It's
very hard to overwhelm anyone with text.

--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donnie Berkholz