Old 03-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Lukasz Damentko

Default devs on IRC (was :Regen2 ( was QA Overlay Layout support ))

2009/3/10 Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org>:
> Gentoo as a project could realize
> more of its potential by better integrating people who dont do IRC.

Yes. Let's integrate them by introducing IRC to them.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Steev Klimaszewski

memoserv

Old 03-11-2009, 03:43 PM
AllenJB

Steev Klimaszewski wrote:

memoserv

Did you not read a single word of what I just said? memoserv only allows
1-1 communication. I'm talking about methods which allow for 1:many or
many:many. memoserv also doesn't solve the bus issue or really provide
any permanent record of communication (AFAIK there's no SLA on memoserv,
which means if Freeserve decides to delete all your memos tomorrow, they
are gone for good).

Websites and mailing lists don't have these issues because they get
archived and mirrored everywhere (gmane, google, archive.org) - a fact
which made itself very apparent when Gentoo Wiki went down last year
(where virtually all the old content was recovered from google cache and
mirrored, as well as being available 6 months later on archive.org).

<Stops before he repeats even more of what he just said>

AllenJB

Old 03-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Alec Warner

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM, AllenJB <gentoo-lists@allenjb.me.uk> wrote:
> Donnie Berkholz wrote:

>> I think IRC helps to build a more tightly knit community and, because of
>> this, is very important to Gentoo. The less close we are as a community, the
>> more free we feel to be hostile because we don't see the folks on the other
>> end of the big tube as real people. It's much like a technique that
>> militaries use during wars to de-personalize the enemy, except with the
>> Internet, we start that way and have to apply effort to grow closer.
>>

> While it may be tight nit, there's the danger that it's so tight no one else
> can get in, so to speak.
>
> I don't think anyone's saying anything like "no more IRC". What I at least
> am advocating is that what goes on on IRC gets summarized somewhere in
> addition. As I said before, this not only helps keep a "log" of what goes on
> for "future generations", but also allows others (users and devs who don't
> have time to follow everything) to look in and follow what the devs are
> doing more easily.

I think that summarizing "IRC" is insane. Remember we barely got
summaries of council meetings (which are at a fixed time and date)
until we got a secretary devoted explicitly to that task. Maybe more
teams should take up the meeting model; that way non-IRC folks can
either be on IRC for meeting times only, or peruse the meeting notes
afterwards if they are interested in what happened.