Old 03-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Tomáš Chvátal

Default LC_ALL=C Set by default for portage

Hi,
lately i see that in our bugzilla most of the build reports are reported with
localized build logs which we dont understand. This leads to us asking the
user to run the emerge once more with LC_ALL=C.

Wont it be nice to have this variable set by default in portage so users
reporting bugs report in English? Since if everything goes fine they dont even
bother about the warnings/errors and if something goes wrong it ends up on us
to solve the mess :]

The LC_ALL should be set for all relevant configure/compile/install phases at
least.

Regards
Tomas

Old 03-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Alexis Ballier

Hi,

> lately i see that in our bugzilla most of the build reports are
> reported with localized build logs which we dont understand. This
> leads to us asking the user to run the emerge once more with LC_ALL=C.
>
> Wont it be nice to have this variable set by default in portage so
> users reporting bugs report in English? Since if everything goes fine
> they dont even bother about the warnings/errors and if something goes
> wrong it ends up on us to solve the mess :]

Moreover this would automagically solve the [a-z] & friends regexp
failures; though that's still good QA to fix them but we wouldn't
encounter them anymore.

Alexis.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Harald van Dijk

On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 09:20:14PM +0100, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> Hi,
> lately i see that in our bugzilla most of the build reports are reported with
> localized build logs which we dont understand. This leads to us asking the
> user to run the emerge once more with LC_ALL=C.
>
> Wont it be nice to have this variable set by default in portage so users
> reporting bugs report in English?

I can't speak for others, but I'd like to find and fix bugs with strange
locales, at least for the packages I maintain. If portage were to force
LC_ALL=C on me, I'd have a very hard time doing so.