Old 03-04-2009, 01:51 AM
Olivier Crête

Default How to speed up maintenance and other Gentoo work?

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 03:26 +0100, Peter Alfredsen wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 04:01:36 +0200
> Mart Raudsepp <leio@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm collecting ideas from the wider development and contributing
> > community on how to help maintainers and contributors get work done
> > quicker, or rephrased - how to get more done in the limited time we
> > have.
>
> Something like what Debian does where a central service monitors
> upstream ftp and notifies you when a bump is available.
>
> Per-package eclasses - eblits standardized.
>
> Crazy idea: Not-quite-eclasses. Some way to share small bits of code
> between packages, though the code may not be eclass-worthy. We all know
> the use-cases:
> [[ -f ChangeLog ]] &&
> { dodoc ChangeLog || die "ChangeLog exists but cannot be dodoc'ed" ; }
>
> And bits of code of that ilk.

Maybe we could use the dev wiki for that kind of stuff?

Having a wiki.gentoo.org would be even better...

--
Olivier Crête
tester@gentoo.org

Old 03-04-2009, 03:54 AM
Josh Saddler

Olivier Crête wrote:
> Maybe we could use the dev wiki for that kind of stuff?
>
> Having a wiki.gentoo.org would be even better...

There is, but it's uber-sekrit.

Or so I was told some years ago. It may or may not (still) exist.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:36 AM
Donnie Berkholz

On 03:26 Wed 04 Mar , Peter Alfredsen wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 04:01:36 +0200
> Mart Raudsepp <leio@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm collecting ideas from the wider development and contributing
> > community on how to help maintainers and contributors get work done
> > quicker, or rephrased - how to get more done in the limited time we
> > have.
>
> Something like what Debian does where a central service monitors
> upstream ftp and notifies you when a bump is available.

pythonhead wrote meatoo a while back, it can do this kind of thing. It
could probably use a bit of love.

--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donnie Berkholz
Developer, Gentoo Linux
Blog: http://dberkholz.wordpress.com

Old 03-04-2009, 04:37 AM
Donnie Berkholz

On 21:24 Tue 03 Mar , Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 March 2009 21:01:36 Mart Raudsepp wrote:
> > Please share your thoughts and ideas as a reply here
>
> there have been threads in the past about collecting all the random scripts
> that people use related to Gentoo. you might want to scrape those as well as
> the cvs dir that was set up to house them ...

I've been talking about making a dev-tools git overlay for a while.
Anyone could get access, and you just have an ebuild that installs your
little script(s) in files/. Anyone want to make it happen?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Nicolas Sebrecht

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 04:01:36AM +0200, Mart Raudsepp wrote:

> I'm collecting ideas from the wider development and contributing
> community on how to help maintainers and contributors get work done
> quicker, or rephrased - how to get more done in the limited time we
> have.

Give a git access to the developpers beside the current CVS ?

--
Nicolas Sebrecht

Old 03-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Petteri Räty

Mart Raudsepp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm collecting ideas from the wider development and contributing
> community on how to help maintainers and contributors get work done
> quicker, or rephrased - how to get more done in the limited time we
> have.

This RSS feed should be turned into a GLEP about a automatic stable
request bug filer. Will get to it eventually but if someone wants to get
to it before I do then feel free.

http://gentoo.petteriraty.eu/stable.rss

Regards,
Petteri

Old 03-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Ryan Hill

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 04:01:36 +0200
Mart Raudsepp <leio@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I'm collecting ideas from the wider development and contributing
> community on how to help maintainers and contributors get work done
> quicker, or rephrased - how to get more done in the limited time we
> have.
>
> This basically means ideas for tools, scripts, or functionality in
> some hypothetical centralized maintainer helper website or GUI/CLI
> program that would help save time in taking care of some of the
> gruntwork that gets done by maintainers right now manually or by
> scripts that don't get shared and re-used and generalized as much as
> they could.
>
> Then afterwards I can sort through the suggestions/ideas, try to make
> a summary and arrange some of them to actually happen.

One tool I used a lot before metadata.xml USE flags sprung up
everywhere was metagen (in the tree under apps-portage), written by
pythonhead. For anyone who hasn't used it, it's a commandline util
written in python (surprise!) for generating metadata.xml. You can
give it a herd, maintainer name/email, maintainer description, package
description, etc., and it will hock out a xml loogie for you. I've
been meaning to update it for USE flags (and whatever else we're
stuffing into xml these days) as a learn-python project, but like all
my learn-* projects it's never gotten anywhere. Maybe someone with the
requisite skills and boredom level might be interested in poking at it.

--
gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect

Old 03-07-2009, 02:08 AM
Duncan

Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@gentoo.org> posted
20090306194452.6b5bf4e5@halo.dirtyepic.sk.ca, excerpted below, on Fri, 06
Mar 2009 19:44:52 -0600:

> You can give [metagen] a herd, maintainer name/email, maintainer
> description, package description, etc., and it will hock out a xml
> loogie for you.

LOL. Never seen it described quite /that/ way before, but it's...
interesting! =:^)

> I've been meaning to update it [...] as a learn-python project,
> but like all my learn-* projects it's never gotten anywhere.

You to, eh? (For me, the dev-manual, etc, and perhaps ultimately,
Gentoo-dev, is on that list, too.) Well, one thing's for sure, a long
list /does/ tend to be a decently effective boredom repellent...

What's frustrating is that as one gets older (42 here), it's no longer
possible to work all day and study/play all nite for 36 hours at a
stretch, and be effective at both, as it used to be. But the internal
scheduler doesn't seem to understand that so keeps adding stuff to that
todo list as if it were!

So all you youngun's out there, pick it up while you can! Oh, and
[waving cane] GET OFF MY LAWN!!

Old 03-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Nicolas Sebrecht

On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 02:22:00AM -0500, Caleb Cushing wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 7:50 AM, Nicolas Sebrecht
> <nicolas.s-dev@laposte.net> wrote:
> > Give a git access to the developpers beside the current CVS ?
>
> or replace cvs with git... oh and you can replace rsync too... because
> git is faster there as well.

Provide a git only access today is not serious. Some developpers may
not want to learn/switch to git. It could be a long term goal, however.

I'm not thinking of internal tools efficiency. It's all about workflow.

Also, rsync just do what it has to do the right way. Git does not fit to
that kind of job.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht

Old 03-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Nicolas Sebrecht

Hi,

(Mail sent to gentoo-dev & gentoo-scm, please Fu2 gentoo-scm only)

On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 06:29:08PM -0800, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 07:57:02PM -0500, Caleb Cushing wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > > People are working on the whole 'replace cvs with git' thing on the
> > > gentoo-scm list.
> > I'm supposedly on that list and I haven't gotten a message all week?
> > is it low traffic? or do I have a subscription/other problem.
> It's fairly low traffic.
>
> The last discussion was just under 2 weeks ago, was about how Manifests
> would need to be changed to cut down on merge conflicts. The last
> proposal on that was to consider a form of slim Manifest for developers
> only (it would still be a full form going to rsync), where objects in
> git were not explicitly tracked in the Manifest, but rather but signed
> commits (not tags), as their checksums were tracked by the DVCS anyway.
>
> Additionally, there is this pending item on a Git resource usage bug
> that hurts badly during the initial clone:
> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-scm/msg_df7c98ec7d2e313856bec31769df407f.xml

Following this discussion on the dev list, it appears that some of us
missed the 'replace cvs with git' project going on here (on gentoo-scm).

As it's very time consuming to find the relevant previous threads. So,
could someone give us more information of the state of the project ?
(general expected workflow, technical issues, etc) A brief abstract
would be very much appreciated.

I've read the above link. Now, I know about the Manifest issue.

Also, did you had information on how git hosted overlays work ?

Thanks,

--
Nicolas Sebrecht