Old 03-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Mart Raudsepp

Default How to speed up maintenance and other Gentoo work?

Hello,

I'm collecting ideas from the wider development and contributing
community on how to help maintainers and contributors get work done
quicker, or rephrased - how to get more done in the limited time we
have.

This basically means ideas for tools, scripts, or functionality in some
hypothetical centralized maintainer helper website or GUI/CLI program
that would help save time in taking care of some of the gruntwork that
gets done by maintainers right now manually or by scripts that don't get
shared and re-used and generalized as much as they could.

Then afterwards I can sort through the suggestions/ideas, try to make a
summary and arrange some of them to actually happen.

If things get done quicker, there is theoretically more available time,
which hopefully would translate into being able to bring us back to the
bleeding edge in one hand, and high quality in another.

I have intentionally left out my own ideas at start to keep everyone's
mind open to various approaches to this.

Please share your thoughts and ideas as a reply here, on my matching
blog post as comments or via private e-mail!

--
Mart Raudsepp
Gentoo Developer

Old 03-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Tuesday 03 March 2009 21:01:36 Mart Raudsepp wrote:
> Please share your thoughts and ideas as a reply here

there have been threads in the past about collecting all the random scripts
that people use related to Gentoo. you might want to scrape those as well as
the cvs dir that was set up to house them ...
-mike

Old 03-04-2009, 01:26 AM
Peter Alfredsen

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 04:01:36 +0200
Mart Raudsepp <leio@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I'm collecting ideas from the wider development and contributing
> community on how to help maintainers and contributors get work done
> quicker, or rephrased - how to get more done in the limited time we
> have.

Something like what Debian does where a central service monitors
upstream ftp and notifies you when a bump is available.

Per-package eclasses - eblits standardized.

Crazy idea: Not-quite-eclasses. Some way to share small bits of code
between packages, though the code may not be eclass-worthy. We all know
the use-cases:
[[ -f ChangeLog ]] &&
{ dodoc ChangeLog || die "ChangeLog exists but cannot be dodoc'ed" ; }

And bits of code of that ilk.