-   -   package.use in profiles and IUSE defaults (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/255361-package-use-profiles-iuse-defaults.html)

Ulrich Mueller 03-02-2009 10:03 AM

package.use in profiles and IUSE defaults

Is it safe to remove an entry from package.use (in profiles) if the
package has an IUSE default for the respective flag?

To be more concrete, Emacs ebuilds have IUSE="+xpm" now, but we still
have an entry "app-editors/emacs xpm" in profiles/base/package.use
which I would like to remove. As I understand it, the two methods are
adjacent in USE ordering, so nothing should change for users?

Ulrich

Doug Goldstein 03-02-2009 03:27 PM

package.use in profiles and IUSE defaults

Is it safe to remove an entry from package.use (in profiles) if the

package has an IUSE default for the respective flag?

To be more concrete, Emacs ebuilds have IUSE="+xpm" now, but we still

have an entry "app-editors/emacs xpm" in profiles/base/package.use

which I would like to remove. As I understand it, the two methods are

adjacent in USE ordering, so nothing should change for users?

Ulrich

Correct. Assuming the user has an EAPI=1 capable package manager, which at this point in time they really should.

Donnie Berkholz 03-02-2009 03:31 PM

On 10:27 Mon 02 Mar , Doug Goldstein wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 5:03 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > Is it safe to remove an entry from package.use (in profiles) if the
> > package has an IUSE default for the respective flag?
> >
> > To be more concrete, Emacs ebuilds have IUSE="+xpm" now, but we still
> > have an entry "app-editors/emacs xpm" in profiles/base/package.use
> > which I would like to remove. As I understand it, the two methods are
> > adjacent in USE ordering, so nothing should change for users?
> >
> > Ulrich
> >

> Correct. Assuming the user has an EAPI=1 capable package manager, which at
> this point in time they really should.

If they don't, then they won't be able to install emacs anyway since all
its ebuilds have EAPI 1.

--
Thanks,
Donnie