Old 02-23-2009, 12:25 AM
"Robin H. Johnson"

Default mysql slots

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 09:42:00PM -0500, Caleb Cushing wrote:
> is there anything preventing mysql* ebuilds from being slotted? there'
> be a mysql 3, 4, 4.1, 5, 5.1, 6.0 slots
Large degrees of headache. The MySQL team tried it years ago, you'll
find some some mentions of mysql-slotted in the history of our eclasses,
and the mysql patchsets.

Was ultimately dropped for the degree of maintenance headache involved -
which included modifying lots of programs to look for the MySQL
libraries differently, and bugs triggered when shared libraries were
linked against different versions and then used together.

There's not much actual need to use a slotted MySQL anyway.
Building a newer client (Say from 5.1) works against older servers quite
fine.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy