FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Petteri Ršty
 
Default Suggestion for next bugday: Mass use deps migration

I suggest that we dedicate the next bugday in March to migrating as many
built_with_use calls to use dependencies as possible. Actively
maintained packages should have mostly been migrated by now and in
general it's better for the user experience to get rid of all those
built_with_use calls instead of waiting for the unmaintained/slacking
parts of the tree to get migrated.

Suggestions/objections?

Regards,
Petteri
 
Old 02-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Carsten Lohrke
 
Default Suggestion for next bugday: Mass use deps migration

On Freitag, 20. Februar 2009, Petteri Ršty wrote:
> Suggestions/objections?

If you mean by "mass migration" doing that more or less blindly, I do object.
When an ebuild directly or indirectly inherits an eclass, which is EAPI 2
enabled, like base.eclass, while another isn't, you have to expect
side-effects. See for example media-tv/kdetv-0.8.9-r1, which features an
empty src_prepare to prevent the attempt to apply patches twice, temporarily.

So the first step is to get all eclasses EAPI 2 ready and even then I wouldn't
rule out odd cases, so changes should happen in testing and revised ebuilds
exclusively to assure odd cases get caught.


Carsten
 
Old 02-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Tom√°Ň° Chv√°tal
 
Default Suggestion for next bugday: Mass use deps migration

Dne nedńõle 22 √önor 2009 22:34:19
> Carsten Lohrke wrote:
> On Freitag, 20. Februar 2009, Petteri Räty wrote:
> > Suggestions/objections?
>
> If you mean by "mass migration" doing that more or less blindly, I do
> object. When an ebuild directly or indirectly inherits an eclass, which is
> EAPI 2 enabled, like base.eclass, while another isn't, you have to expect
> side-effects. See for example media-tv/kdetv-0.8.9-r1, which features an
> empty src_prepare to prevent the attempt to apply patches twice,
> temporarily.
>
> So the first step is to get all eclasses EAPI 2 ready and even then I
> wouldn't rule out odd cases, so changes should happen in testing and
> revised ebuilds exclusively to assure odd cases get caught.
>
>
> Carsten
Well that is the reason why i am first eapi2ing the kde eclass. I was really
suprised when i saw kde3 ebuilds with eapi2
The smalest problems i can spot in the first place are:
1) not working PATCHES array
2) double configure script run.

So i agree that we have to doublecheck every eclass and eapi2fy them in first
place.

Tomas
 
Old 02-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Petteri Ršty
 
Default Suggestion for next bugday: Mass use deps migration

Carsten Lohrke wrote:
> On Freitag, 20. Februar 2009, Petteri Ršty wrote:
>> Suggestions/objections?
>
> If you mean by "mass migration" doing that more or less blindly, I do object.
> When an ebuild directly or indirectly inherits an eclass, which is EAPI 2
> enabled, like base.eclass, while another isn't, you have to expect
> side-effects. See for example media-tv/kdetv-0.8.9-r1, which features an
> empty src_prepare to prevent the attempt to apply patches twice, temporarily.
>
> So the first step is to get all eclasses EAPI 2 ready and even then I wouldn't
> rule out odd cases, so changes should happen in testing and revised ebuilds
> exclusively to assure odd cases get caught.
>
>
> Carsten

Yes of course not without testing the packages. The point here was also
that if you are maintaining something do the change yourself before the
next bug day. Even if the eclasses are not EAPI 2 ready you can work
around it in the ebuild by for example those empty functions.

Regards,
Petteri
 
Old 02-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Carsten Lohrke
 
Default Suggestion for next bugday: Mass use deps migration

On Sonntag, 22. Februar 2009, Petteri Ršty wrote:
> Even if the eclasses are not EAPI 2 ready you can work
> around it in the ebuild by for example those empty functions.

This is fine with me, when you care for said packages and their eclasses and
know for sure such hacks have a very limited lifetime. Otherwise it's likely
to rot in the repository for ages.


Carsten
 
Old 02-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Carsten Lohrke
 
Default Suggestion for next bugday: Mass use deps migration

On Sonntag, 22. Februar 2009, Tom√°Ň° Chv√°tal wrote:
> Well that is the reason why i am first eapi2ing the kde eclass. I was
> really suprised when i saw kde3 ebuilds with eapi2

I value users suffering from package manager issues higher and fix issues as I
see them, walking through the tree. Only a handful of ebuilds are affected.
Identifying and adjusting them, when the modified eclasses hits the tree is a
quick operation.


Carsten
 
Old 03-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Petteri Ršty
 
Default Suggestion for next bugday: Mass use deps migration

Petteri Ršty wrote:
> I suggest that we dedicate the next bugday in March to migrating as many
> built_with_use calls to use dependencies as possible. Actively
> maintained packages should have mostly been migrated by now and in
> general it's better for the user experience to get rid of all those
> built_with_use calls instead of waiting for the unmaintained/slacking
> parts of the tree to get migrated.
>
> Suggestions/objections?
>
> Regards,
> Petteri
>

I will be doing a category or two I am involved with. If you want to
join in the fun, come to #gentoo-bugs and claim a category or two.

Regards,
Petteri
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:48 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org