Old 12-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Stefan Hellermann

Default sys-apps/diffutils dependency on >=sys-apps/man-pages-2.46

Hello,

why has sys-apps/diffutils a dependency on >=sys-apps/man-pages-2.46?

I'm using a embedded uclibc system, and in uclibc man, man-pages and groff are removed
from the system target to not require c++. But diffutils depends on man-pages for no
obvious reason, and pulls in man and groff with a dependency on c++.

Cheers
Stefan

Old 12-29-2007, 11:16 PM
Duncan

Stefan Hellermann <stefan@the2masters.de> posted
4776B1F9.2060302@the2masters.de, excerpted below, on Sat, 29 Dec 2007
21:45:45 +0100:

> why has sys-apps/diffutils a dependency on >=sys-apps/man-pages-2.46?
>
> I'm using a embedded uclibc system

There are people here who work with embedded and ulibc. I'm not one of
them and won't try to answer directly. However, to fix the dependency...

Use /etc/portage/profiles/package.provided. See the portage manpage for
details. I have a number of "unnecessary dependencies" listed there, and
a few virtuals faked in a virtuals file in the same dir, as well. If you
don't like Gentoo's dependencies, they /do/ give you a way to change them
yourself without a whole lot of trouble. =8^)

BTW, if you aren't yet aware of it, there's the Gentoo-embedded list.
Next time I'd suggest trying there, first. =8^)

Old 01-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Stefan Hellermann

Hi,

masking out the dependency with /etc/portage/profile is not a problem, but why is it
needed? Why is there the dependency on man-pages in diffutils? I think this question is
not related to embedded, it's about a wrong dependency of a system-package. More people
could hit this when they build a minimal vserver or simply don't like man. Any objections
on removing this dependency?

Cheers
Stefan Hellermann

Old 01-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Stefan Hellermann wrote:
> masking out the dependency with /etc/portage/profile is not a problem, but
> why is it needed? Why is there the dependency on man-pages in diffutils? I
> think this question is not related to embedded, it's about a wrong
> dependency of a system-package.

it is not wrong if you review the history. it was added to prevent man page
collisions in stable packages. the dependency will be dropped after the next
release like it was originally planned (and to the angst of solar).
-mike